Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Japanese Rubber Ball?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Japanese Rubber Ball?
I've gone through your forums looking for information about rubber ball and the different variations of it. I know there's the youth baseball version, and more of an adult slowpitch version I believe. I'm trying to learn more about it, but everything I could find is fairly old (2007) and I would imagine the game has gone through some changes.

Thanks.

[By admin: Contact me at "westbaystars atMark this domain name" and I'll sign you up.]
Comments
Re: Japanese Rubber Ball?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Dec 19, 2013 10:53 AM | YBS Fan ]

The best source out there I know of for the history of the rubber baseball is the Japanese Wikipedia site (link). (The Korean Wikipedia page on the topic is just a couple lines of summary.)

In essence, the ball was created by a rubber company in Kobe (Toshin Rubber?) as a replacement to using tennis balls during the Meiji Period. The solid rubber ball better resembled the cork based balls of the time.

The last major change to the nanshiki ball came in 2006 when the dimples (similar to those on golf balls) were removed from the A, B, and C types.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.