Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Best Smartphone App to Follow Games?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Best Smartphone App to Follow Games?
Hello!

Is there a pro yakyu app that is similar to MLB's "At-Bat" app? Something with live updates, stats, box scores, etc.?

I'd be interested in getting some good recommendations. Thanks in advance!

Newb.
Comments
Re: Best Smartphone App to Follow Games?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 7, 2013 5:34 PM | YBS Fan ]

I know nothing about any MLB apps, but the best one that I'm aware of in Japan is the same as on the web. Pro Yakyu - Yahoo! Sports (in Japanese only). You'll be automatically redirected to the mobile version from a smart phone.

There used to be a Pacific League app in the iPhone App Store that would live stream games and had standings, interviews, and other news. But since the Pacific League set up their own subscription based service this year, I'm not sure if it's still available. And if it is, it's probably restricted to the Japan App Store only, like their streaming service is.

Hope this helps.
[ Author: Guest: Newbie | Posted: May 7, 2013 10:20 PM ]

Hello Sir!

I thank you for your prompt and informative reply. Yes, I have been using the Yahoo smartphone site but I was wondering if there was something less 'clunky' and a bit more interactive, like a "MLB gameday" option.

Anyway, I thank you again most kindly.

The Newb.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 7, 2013 11:21 PM | YBS Fan ]

I've now had a chance to go through the App Store and see what's available. I used the search term "プロ野球速報" to narrow down the selections, trying to eliminate games.

What I found doesn't look very promising.

The reviews of all of the ones that look like a native wrapper around Yahoo!'s play by play all say that the apps are slow to respond and freeze a lot. That makes me think that they are, in fact, just a wrapper around the Yahoo! web page, as the experience seems to be the same.

The only one with a decent review was a free app by the name of "YaQ" by o24. It's interface is very simple. But those who have reviewed it (and an older version) say that it's got a lot of interesting data to look at in the app.

It sounds like the site being in Japanese isn't an issue for you, so this won't be either. Again, it's probably limited to Japan only. So if you're in Japan, I don't see a reason not to give such a free app a chance.

My favorite app on the go has been Justin.TV. But it's been having a lot of connectivity issues lately.

Again, hope this helps.
[ Author: Rocksfan | Posted: May 16, 2013 9:11 AM | CHU Fan ]

> My favorite app on the go has been Justin.TV. But
> it's been having a lot of connectivity issues
> lately.

You know, I'd been wondering if that was just my home network or something with the app itself. But since I have't had any issues on my desktop, I was figuring it was the app. It's been very frustrating this season.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.