Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Cabrera's Tattoos?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Cabrera's Tattoos?
In following the flap with Hashimoto in Osaka saying that city workers shouldn't be allowed to have tattoos, there was some reference to Alex Cabrera. When he first started playing for SoftBank, I heard he was asked to cover his tattoos with long sleeves. I have seen him on several ocassions since, however, with the tattoos clearly exposed. Does anyone know what happened? Did SoftBank soften their stance? Or are there some conditions to when he can and can't show them?
Comments
Re: Cabrera's Tattoos?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jun 11, 2012 6:55 PM | YBS Fan ]

That's a very good question. I noticed his tattoos showing last season and wondered the same thing; i.e., has some policy changed?

I don't think that this has been a SoftBank policy, but rather a long running NPB policy. Benny kept his tattoos covered with wrist bands while with Valentine-kantoku's Marines; and I doubt if Bobby had such a policy.

It seems to me that there was an article several months ago touching on the topic. What I recall of it was something along the lines that different cultures had different views regarding tattoos, so it made little sense to penalize foreign players (i.e. require them to cover the tattoos up) for having them.

I wonder if Gen translated such an article.

. . .

Yes! He did. Please have a look at these search results. I guess it was SoftBank-specific.
[ Author: Guest: guest | Posted: Jun 11, 2012 8:06 PM ]

As I expected, Akiyama has a lot more sense than Hashimoto!
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Jun 13, 2012 5:30 PM | HAN Fan ]

Tattoo rules in Major League Baseball rules have changed. In 2004 and 2005, Seattle Mariners' pitcher Bobby Madritsch had to keep his tats covered.

I don't know when the rules were eased up as players now openly display their tattoos.

The new MLB Collective Bargaining Agreement that takes effect for 2013 bans players getting tattoos with corporate logos.
[ Author: SteveNovosel | Posted: Jul 3, 2012 3:48 PM | LOT Fan ]

I quite clearly remember him showing his tattoos during games when a member of Orix. He certainly showed them when not at the stadium, too - ran into him outside the stadium a few times.
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Jul 4, 2012 12:09 PM ]

It wasn't until he joined SoftBank that the tattoos became an issue. As others have noted here, however, I believe SoftBank softened their stance, as I have seen pictures of him in a SoftBank uniform without tattoos covered.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.