Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Player development

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Player development
Are there minors? If so, how are they structure?

Is there a draft?

Basically, how do the teams get their young players?
Comments
Re: Player development
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Aug 18, 2004 2:50 AM ]

- Are there minors? If so, how are they structure?

Yes, there's a minor league in Japan called ni-gun. Every professional team has a minor league team, though there are no where near as many minor leagues in Japan as there are in MLB.

- Is there a draft?

Yes.

- Basically, how do the teams get their young players?

By the draft, basically.
[ Author: Guest: Steve-O | Posted: Aug 18, 2004 9:51 AM ]

Thanks so much for the info. Can you give me any more details about the draft? What makes a player available to be drafted? Does he have to complete a certain level of education?
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Aug 19, 2004 8:31 AM | HAN Fan ]

The Japanese amateur draft is simlar to the U.S. amateur draft. Players are selected at the end of their high school and college senior years.

The U.S. and Japan honor each other's drafts, therefore the do not touch players in the other country until players have gone through the draft system in the respective countries.

It was written earlier in this posting that each Japanese major Cenrtal or Pacific League team has one minor team in either the Eastern or Western League. In addition, there is a semi-pro Industrial League. Hideo Nomo is a graduate of the Industrial League.
Re: Player Development
[ Author: Guest: Steve-O | Posted: Aug 30, 2004 11:41 PM ]

Can you tell me the names of the minor league teams or a place where I can find more info in English?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Aug 31, 2004 7:58 AM ]

- Can you tell me the names of the minor league teams or a place where I can find more info in English?

All the Japanese ni-gun (farm) teams are named after their parent team, unforunately there isn't much or any information on it (NPB minor league baseball) in English anywhere.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Aug 31, 2004 8:25 AM | YBS Fan ]

The above post is correct except for one point, two farm teams have different names than their parent:
  • Yokohama BayStars' ni-gun team is called the Shonan SeaRex.
  • Orix BlueWave's ni-gun team is called the Surpass.

Yokohama is trying to make their ni-gun a more independent entity, thus the different name. Orix sold the naming rights to their ni-gun team for extra income.

Information on the farm teams is hard to find in Japanese, let alone English. In general, the official sites for the teams (all in Japanese only) have a corner dedicated to the farm teams, but don't contain that much information.

About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.