Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Marathon Games in Japan

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Marathon Games in Japan
Dear readers of JapaneseBaseball.com:

I am preparing a manuscript for publication on long marathon baseball games, and I'm writing in the hope that you may be able to inform me of any omissions. I began work on marathons 41 years ago when I attended a Pittsburgh Pirates twi-night doubleheader that ended at 2:30 AM, and nobody could answer the question, "Is that the latest a baseball game has ever ended?"

Here are the only Japanese games I have found so far ending at 1 AM or later, going 20 or more innings, or lasting 6 or more hours (including rain delays). If you know of any I have omitted, please let me know via e-mail at plowry1176 at aol d0t com.

When you look at the list, you will notice one very strange thing. There are zero games from the Pacific League. It does not seem logical that the Central League would have had all the long marathon games, and the Pacific League would not have had any at all.

If you see any omissions, please let me know. Thank you very much for your help. Phil Lowry, New York, NY.

Ended after 1:00 AM
    None found so far, there must be at least one out there waiting to be discovered. The latest I have found yet is this one:

12:26 AM - Koshien Kyujyo (Stadium), Osaka, 9/11/1992, Central League, Yakult Swallows 3 Hanshin Tigers 3 in 6:26 and 15 innings, rhubarb (argument) delay 0:37.
20 or more innings
    Only three found, there must be some others, perhaps in high school, or college, or Japanese minor leagues like the Western or Eastern Leagues?

25 innings - Koshien Kyujyo (Stadium), Osaka, 8/19/1933, Japan High School League, Chukyo-shogyo 1 Akashi-chugaku 0 in 4:55, ended at 6:05 PM.

28 innings - Korakuen Kyujyo (Stadium), Tokyo, 5/24/1942, Japanese Professional Baseball Federation, Taiyo 4 Nagoya 4 in 3:47, called a tie, ended at 6:27 PM.

21 innings - Nishinomiya Kyujyo (Stadium), Nishinomiya, 7/3/1952, Central League vs. Pacific League, Central League All-Stars 2 Pacific League All-Stars 2 in 4:30, called a tie.
6 or more hours
    Five found so far, there could be more.

6:26 - Koshien Kyujyo (Stadium), Osaka, 9/11/1992, Central League, Yakult Swallows 3 Hanshin Tigers 3 in 15 innings, rhubarb (argument) delay 0:37, finished at 12:26 AM in the early morning of September 12.

6:01 - Hiroshima Kyujyo (Stadium), Hiroshima, 10/1/1992, Central League, Hiroshima Carp 8 Yakult Swallows 7 in 13 innings, finish time unknown, was this a day game or a night game?

6:19 - Shimonoseki Kyujyo (Stadium), Shimonoseki, 9/8/1996, Central League, Yakult Swallows 6 Yokohama BayStars 5 in extra innings, finished at 12:19 AM in the early morning of September 9.

6:13 - Fukuyama Kyujyo (Stadium), Fukuyama, 8/9/1998, Central League, Yokohama BayStars 14 Hiroshima Carp 6 in 15 innings, finished at 12:13 AM in the early morning of August 10.

6:02 - Koshien Kyujyo (Stadium), Osaka, 5/24/2000, Central League, Chunichi Dragons 3 Hanshin Tigers 2 in 15 innings, finished at 12:02 AM in the early morning of May 25.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.