Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Playoffs: Who Would Be In?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Playoffs: Who Would Be In?
I am trying to understand the playoff seedings. Who would be in the playoffs if the season ended today?
Comments
Re: Playoffs: Who Would Be In?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 26, 2004 8:55 PM | YBS Fan ]

Well, it's pretty cut and dry as to who will be in the playoffs as of today:

Team Games W L T W% GB
    Seibu 49 30 19 0 .612 -
    Daiei 48 26 20 2 .565 2.5
    Nippon Ham 48 25 22 1 .532 4
    Kintetsu 49 22 26 1 .458 7.5
    Orix 45 19 25 1 .432 8.5
    Lotte 49 19 29 1 .396 10.5

Now go and read this thread and you will see that the answer is Seibu, Daiei, and Nippon Ham. (We'll just leave the fact that all of the teams haven't played the same number of games out of this.) To answer the question you didn't ask yet, I'll quote the above press release:

The second and third place teams will have a best two out of three (if necessary) game series with the winner going against the first place team in a best of five (first to win three) game series.

More information on the subject is available in the above thread.

Re: Playoffs: Who Would Be In?
[ Author: Guest: Stevie | Posted: May 27, 2004 6:12 AM ]

Looking at the previous discussion of the Pacific League playoff format, I wanted to mention something about mediocre teams making these playoffs.

Using the spreadsheet of team records at baseballguru.com, it looks like a team with a win% of 0.500 or less would have qualified for a Pa League playoff (at #3) eight times since the two leagues were established. Three of these times occurred since 1990, so it seems like the trend is actually increasing.

If the Pa League had always had these playoffs, what was the worst team which would have had a shot at Japan Series glory? The 1978 Nippon Ham Fighters, with a winning percentage of 0.466 (55-63-12)!

Using this playoff for the Central League, the numbers are actually pretty close - nine times since the leagues were established, and three times since 1990. The worst team here? The 1974 Yakult Swallows, with a winning percentage of 0.488 (60-63-7).

Just a bit of statistical curiosity.

- Stevie
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.