Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Consecutive Saves Streak

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Consecutive Saves Streak
Now that Los Angeles Dodgers closer Eric Gagne has saved 73 straight games in the Major Leagues, can anyone fill me in on who has the record for most consecutive saves in Japan?
Comments
Re: Consecutive Saves Streak
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 20, 2004 8:25 AM | YBS Fan ]

Naturally, that record goes to the Daimajin, Sasaki Kazuhiro, who saved 22 consecutive games from April 26 to June 30, 1998 (the year Yokohama won the pennent for the first time in 38 years). His record was stopped when he appeared in a non-save situation with the game tied, not figuring in the decision, IIRC.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: May 20, 2004 11:55 AM ]

I may be mistaken, but didn't Kobayashi, the Lotte closer, break that record a couple years ago?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 20, 2004 12:44 PM | YBS Fan ]

Kobayashi Masahide set a new Pacific League record of 17 consecutive saves between May 21 and August 5, 2002.

Betweek May 21 and October 17 of the same year, Kobayashi did set a new Japan record of 33 consecutive save points. Sasaki's consecutive save point record is the same period as his saves.

Source: "2004 Baseball Record Book," Baseball Magazine Sha, ISBN4-583-03778-3.
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: May 20, 2004 11:41 PM ]

I think what he was asking was what is the record for most consecutive saves without a blown save. For example, Gagne has pitched in games where he wasn't eligible to get the save during that 73 game streak. But he wasn't charged with a blown save over the course of racking up those 73 saves.
[ Author: Guest: John | Posted: May 22, 2004 8:20 AM ]

Yes, Mr. Garland, that was precisely what I meant.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 22, 2004 10:43 AM | YBS Fan ]

- I think what he was asking was what is the record for most consecutive saves without a blown save.

In that case, I'm not sure. The Record Book only contains most consecutive saves (and save points). And I remember the streak with Daimajin being consecutive save chances turned into saves. Unfortunately, there's no information on how many blown saves either of the two had during their seasons, so I don't know if the losses each had were blown saves or not.

Wait. I have the dates. Let's look through some old box scores.

[...]

Whoa. I was wrong above. Sasaki did not break his streak by appearing in a non-save situation. Unless I missed a game somewhere, he blew a 1-0 lead in the 9th inning on July 7 at Osaka Dome against Hanshin, being tagged for 2 runs in the sayonara loss.

Going back the other way will probably take me to the previous season, and the box scores aren't arranged in the Record Book for easy chronological viewing. I'm afraid that it'll take more time that I have right now. (The Kodomo Kai is having a bazaar and mini festival for the neighborhood kids in a half hour.)

While it's not explicitly stated, I now think that maybe the records are recorded according to non-blown saves. Official records generally tend to be recorded the same between the two leagues.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.