Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

NPB Players From Taiwan/China

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
NPB Players From Taiwan/China
Could anybody add to the names of baseball players that have played in Japan that were from Taiwan or China?

I know that Kuo Tai-yuan (Kaku Taigen), Chen Tai-feng (Yasuaki Taiho), Kuo Yuan-zhi (Kaku Gengi), Chen Wen-bin, Lin Wei-tsu, Chang Chi-chia, Hsu Ming-chieh, Chen Wei-yin, Kuo-lee Chien-fu, Tsao Jung-yang, Kakuri Tateo, and Lu Chengan all played there. Are there any that I have missed?
Comments
Re: NPB Players From Taiwan/China
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: May 3, 2004 11:12 PM ]

Early NPB great Shosei Go was born there.

Jim Albright
[ Author: Guest: BC | Posted: Jun 10, 2004 8:36 AM ]

Shosei Go's Chinese name was Wu Bo. Some other early Taiwanese players in Japan were:
    Luo Daohou (Ito Jiro) 1936 - '38 with the Tokyo Senators
    Ye Tiansong (Okamura Toshiaki) 1940 - '49 with the Nankai Hawks
    Wu Xinheng (Ogihara Hiroshi) 1944 - '52 with the Yomiuri Giants
[ Author: Guest: BC | Posted: Jun 7, 2004 7:28 PM ]

I think you also forgot Meishi Ro - Lu Ming-tsu, former slugger of the Giants; Katsuo-Soh - Chuang Sheng-hsiung, pitched for Lotte.
[ Author: Guest: Frank | Posted: Jun 8, 2004 2:46 PM ]

If my childhood memory from 15 years ago is correct, didn't CPBL's first two great pitchers, Huang "Golden Arm" Pin-Yang and Chen "Flying Knife" Yi-Shin, play in Japan until CPBL came into existing?
[ Author: Guest: BC | Posted: Jun 10, 2004 8:27 AM ]

Frank,

You're absolutely right; Chen Yi-Hsin played for the Dragons in Japan during the 1989 and '90 seasons, before he finished his career in Taiwan from '91 on.

I don't have any stats on Huang Ping-Yang from his Japanese career, but I do believe he also played in Japan prior to the '90 season.
[ Author: Guest: BC | Posted: Jun 10, 2004 6:40 AM ]

FYI - so your list isn't redundant, Kuo Lee Chien Fu's Japanese name was Kakuri Tateo.
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Jun 12, 2004 11:17 AM ]

I have stats for the retired foreign position players on my site, Japan Baseball Daily. I will have the retired pitchers up before the end of the year. So you might want to check it out.
[ Author: Guest: Binoculars Across the Pacific | Posted: Jun 14, 2004 12:33 AM ]

Maybe I'm not looking clearly, but you're missing what in my opinion was the most obvious Taiwanese player: Wang Chen-chih a.k.a Sadaharu Oh. I guess, though, he wasn't actually from Taiwan as he was born in Japan and his mother was Japanese, but I thought I'd throw it in anyway.
[ Author: Guest: Andrew | Posted: Jun 14, 2004 12:07 PM ]

Yes, his father is from Zhejiang province in China.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Jun 17, 2004 8:42 AM ]

1940s and '50s Lions' and Flyers' great Hiroshi Oshita was born there, according to Fitts and Engels' book.

Jim Albright
[ Author: Guest: Andrew | Posted: Jun 17, 2004 12:36 PM ]

Hiroshi Oshita was half-Japanese and half-Chinese. His mother was Chinese while his father was an officer in the Japanese military. According to Japan Baseball Daily, his father died when Hiroshi was three and his mother had to run a small restaurant.
[ Author: Guest: joe | Posted: Jun 19, 2004 10:01 AM ]

Yu Wen Bin played there, too.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.