Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

2004 NPB Previews in the Newspapers?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
2004 NPB Previews in the Newspapers?
Hello all,

I've been lurking on this site for a while, this is my first post. Just call me Jingu Bleacher Bum as I'm a Yakult Swallows fan ever since 1999. My question goes out to anyone with information willing to share it.

I remember last year The Japan Times, and the Asahi International Herald Tribune newspapers both printed out previews for the 2003 NPB season, and they were very handy references for records and player names. I have been watching both the web sites and the newspapers themselves to see when this year's preview is coming out, but have seen nothing yet. Does anybody know if either, or any newspaper for that matter, is doing a preview this year?
Comments
Re: 2004 NPB Previews in the Newspapers?
[ Author: Yakulto | Posted: Mar 25, 2004 10:53 PM | TYS Fan ]

I'm sure the Japan Times will publish their annual preview as usual. They usually print it the week before opening day, so keep your eyes peeled in the last week of March.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 26, 2004 10:46 AM | YBS Fan ]

Opening Day is tomorrow (Saturday, March 27). Unless, of course, the newspapers only have a Central League schedule, which I wouldn't put past them.

I don't subscribe to either of those papers (I care about Pro Yakyu as a whole, not just the suketto), so I can't tell you what's up with that.
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Mar 26, 2004 10:58 AM | YAK Fan ]

Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't miss it already.

I don't rely on the English newspapers for sports news, I can read enough Japanese to get enough info from Yahoo Japan and other sites. It is handy, though, to have all the team schedules and player names in one little pamphlet type newspaper insert.
[ Author: Yakulto | Posted: Mar 29, 2004 10:28 AM | TYS Fan ]

The Japan Times' Supplement will be out with the Wednesday, March 31st copy.
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Mar 29, 2004 6:13 PM | YAK Fan ]

Thanks Yakulto! After I read your reply, I checked their web site and I would have missed the little ad mentioning it if I hadn't been looking for it. I'll be sure and buy it!
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Mar 31, 2004 2:52 PM | YAK Fan ]

Arrggghhh. The Japan Times didn't have the preview in today's paper (I checked 2 different stores), and they removed the small ad from their web site. Now, who knows when it will be out?
[ Author: Yakulto | Posted: Apr 1, 2004 12:50 AM | TYS Fan ]

They printed it on the Tuesday (much to my suprise as it was contrary to their previous advert, I only bought the paper by chance that day) and it was a mere 4 pages in the middle of the paper, not a supplement as in previous years.

Bit of a letdown really. I won't bother next year.
[ Author: Guest: Suraj | Posted: Apr 2, 2004 3:06 PM ]

Probably doesn't help anyone now, but the Daily Yomiuri had a 10(?) page supplement about a week ago.
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Jun 23, 2004 5:20 PM | YAK Fan ]

We're already almost halfway into the NPB season, but the Japan Times' web site has recently put up the preview section they printed out available in PDF format, complete with Team Rosters and 2003 statistics. [Link - Japan Times 2004 Japanese Professional Baseball Preview]
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.