Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Draft Reform?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Draft Reform?
I'd gotten a question from umeboshi-san about the reforms going on with the draft system in NPB. What he wrote was:
Tell me why there is not much information about the draft in English. It has been discussed in Japanese papers lately. If you know anything about it but cannot write it on the paper, please tell us about it here.
This was actually in reply to a Hot Corner article written in 2005, when the owners approved the current two-draft system, splitting the amateur draft into a high school draft and other amateur draft. They added an additional draft, as well, the 育成 (ikusei or "development") draft for developing players who do not count against the 70 man roster (all those uniform numbers 100 and above).

I know that the Players Association is still not happy with the current draft system. They've been pushing for a straight waver draft for years (with no signs of acknowledgment from the owners). I'll try my hand at translating the draft articles as they come in.

[As an aside, I need to totally revamp the way my Player Meikan handles the draft. Currently there can be as many as 3 first round draft choices by a team for a given year with no way to tell apart those who declared their team (for the amateur draft) or which draft they entered from (high school, amateur, or development).]
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.