Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

How do I post a Link

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
How do I post a Link
Hi, I am a newcomer to this site.

There is an interesting interview with a player that I wanted to post, but I wasn't sure if I just paste the URL address that it would appear in the post as a link.

Thanks for your help.
Comments
Re: How do I post a Link
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 10, 2003 8:47 AM | YBS Fan ]

Lots of new people lately, with newbie problems and questions. I guess I really need to write a page about the posting process.

To answer your question, just post the URL and I'll format it into proper HTML if you don't know how. I edit all posts, usually fixing grammar for non-native speakers (although native English speakers need it ofen enough as well - I still can't believe someone claiming to be a U.S. junior high English teacher doesn't know how to capitalize the proper noun "I"). I like articles and comments to flow well while reading, so when someone posts something like:
I found this article interesting: http://url.sample.com/article.html
I change it to the following HTML:
I found <a href="http://url.sample.com/article.html">this article</a> [sample.com] interesting.
If the site has a more proper name, like the Japan Times, that's what I'll put in brackets so that people know that they're jumping off site. If the site is mentioned in the paragraph, I either replace the mention of the site with the hyperlink or leave out the brackets, which ever seems to flow better in the situation.

With things like lists, too, I'll convert them to HTML ordered or bulletted lists. I change quoted text (with ">" on the left) to paragraphs in italics (after cutting out what isn't commented about, if someone quotes an entire post). I also fix the fonts around plain text tables so that they're mono-spaced and lined up properly.

Basically, all you have to do is post the information you want and I'll lay it out in proper HTML.

If you know HTML, then feel free to post in HTML. That'll save me the trouble. There is one major pitfall, though: all carrage returns are converted to <br> tags. Therefore, if you hit carrage return, then type in <p>, and hit another carrage return, you'll end up with quadruple spacing when the page is rendered - not what you generally want. But fear not, I go through and take the extra carrage returns out (often in the middle of paragraphs) as well. In the end, your post will be a nice hypertext document segment.

Hope this helps. And I look forward to the interview, under the Interviews forum.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.