Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Giants vs. Tigers Sept 20-21

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Giants vs. Tigers Sept 20-21
I am coming to Japan in September, but my misunderstood twin brother told me to bring that fat weasel, David Wells, with me on a one-way trip. To think he had the nerve to call Irabu-san a fat toad! Can he buy back Irabu-san's contract after the Tigers win it all so he can play him in the World Series instead of lazy, loud mouth Wells?

Seriously, I will be in Tokyo the weekend of the 20th and see the Giants and Tigers are playing at Tokyo Dome. What are the chances of picking up a single ticket for Saturday or Sunday? LOL? Yeah, yeah, I thought I'd ask.

As I don't read Japanese, the e+ site isn't much help. Any other ideas would be appreciated. I may just have to call ahead to my hotel. If that fails, there's always the Ham Fighters on the Tuesday holiday where I bet I can get behind the dug-out.
Comments
Re: Giants vs. Tigers Sept 20-21
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Sep 3, 2003 2:04 AM | HT Fan ]

- Seriously, I will be in Tokyo the weekend of the 20th and see the Giants and Tigers are playing at Tokyo Dome. What are the chances of picking up a single ticket for Saturday or Sunday? LOL? Yeah, yeah, I thought I'd ask.

Long since sold out. Given that you can't read Japanese (and therefore can't use the Yahoo Japan auction site) your only course of action will be scalpers, but be aware that: (a) the price of the tickets will rival your airfare; (b) it's illegal to buy from them; and (c) you'll likely be funding the activities of organised criminals.

Tickets for any Hanshin or Kyojin game are precious this season; Hanshin vs Kyojin tickets could put your kids through college (slight exaggeration there). Perhaps you could find a decent pub, with good food, good beer, and a big TV.

Anyway, good luck. I'll be very jealous if you do end up going!
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Sep 3, 2003 3:02 PM ]

Just to expand on torakichi's statement, the "dafuya (scalpers)" are, from what I understand, generally junior Yakuza members.
[ Author: Guest: George Steinbrennernot | Posted: Sep 4, 2003 5:15 AM ]

That's what I suspected. Thanks for the advise. Looks like it will be the Ham Fighters on Tuesday then.
[ Author: btimmer | Posted: Sep 5, 2003 3:15 PM ]

When I was in Tokyo in May, Tigers-Giants tickets at Tokyo Dome were selling for 50,000 yen. I would imagine those ticket prices have gone up.

Granted these were really good seats.
[ Author: Guest: Suraj Rupani | Posted: Sep 8, 2003 3:54 PM ]

If the Tigers have clinched by then, wouldn't the prices go down? It would still cost a tiny fortune, but I imagine less that right now, for example.

Also, you could look into "standing" tickets. Tiring, and can't see much, but worth it just for the atmosphere.
[ Author: btimmer | Posted: Sep 9, 2003 2:45 PM ]

I would doubt that the price would go down much, even if the title has been clinched. There will still be a big demand to see the Tigers.
[ Author: kenwhy | Posted: Jan 18, 2004 7:07 PM | TYS Fan ]

I was in Tokyo during this time and I got a ticket for the Sept. 21 game at one of the ticket shops at the northern tip of Shinjuku Station. These shops look like the "legal" ticket brokers that you find here in the States. There are 3 or 4 of these shops right next door to each other, so the selection and competition are pretty decent. All available tickets, Giants, Lions, Fighters, etc. are displayed in glass cabinets. And for any sold out event, you do have to pay a premium, but I was willing to do it - 14,000 yen for a 5,900 yen seat.

Ken
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.