Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

What are the Yomiuri Giants' official colors?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
What are the Yomiuri Giants' official colors?
Dan Oh-san (dangreenfield at usa net) writes:

Odd question, I know, but I'm confused: Until recently I believed for many, many years that the Giants' colors were black and orange. I've purchased replica caps here in the U.S. that were black and orange (made in the U.S.) and I own a replica early '60s jersey (also made in the U.S.) that has black and orange lettering.

But I've since seen Internet sites that say their colors are navy and orange. I've looked at tons of color photos and in some the color looks black, in others it looks blue (tho sometimes the photos look like they are thru a blue filter).

Anyway, can you shed some light for me on this? It's a minor point, I know, but I'm really curious.

Comments
Black and Orange
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jul 6, 2001 5:24 PM | YBS Fan ]

So far as I'd ever seen, it's black and orange.  Looking at the Giants' Official Site (with too many annoying animated ads), everything is black and orange.

Because black and orange aren't necessarily fassionable colors (unless you grow up a Yomiuri or San Francisco fan (SF in my case - but then, I never really fit in with the fassionable crowd), they may offer some goods in other colors.  But I don't think that my eyes have gotten so bad that I can't tell the difference between black and navy blue on their site.

Can you list some of those sites that said it was navy blue?  You've gotten me curious.

Re:Black and Orange
[ Author: moto-Dan Oh | Posted: Jul 6, 2001 6:33 PM ]

Yeah: Check out Yakyushop.com. The jersey and hat listings refer to dark navy (almost black). And the pictures indeed appear to be navy (especially the cap and the photo of the woman on the main page).

It would make sense for their colors to be black and orange because the uniform is so clearly patterned after the NY-(later SF) Giants. Still, maybe I've been missing something.

What are your thoughts?
Bad dies
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jul 9, 2001 4:18 AM | YBS Fan ]

Ah, I think I know what's going on here.  With some of the replica hats I've seen (but not all), the die used for black is (navy) blue based.  What the Yakyu Shop is doing is printing the actual color of the replica instead of the color that it represents.

I'm sure that there are a lot of people out there who understand the subject better than I, but what I understand of solid colors is that black is actually a combination of all the colors of the rainbow.  In practice, such as with older color printers, black was attained by combining magenta, cyan, and yellow.  If you'd ever used one of those old color printers, you would have see that "black" was actually a dark blue or purple.  I think that some of the dies used for "black" follow the same principals and fail equally as bad as many of those early color printers.  (Moral of the story, get a color printer with at least 4 colors - including black.)

Re: What are the Yomiuri Giants' Official Colors?
[ Author: Guest: Alan | Posted: Oct 3, 2004 3:01 AM ]

They are a very dark midnight blue and orange. I have a Descente cap and jersey. The dark color looks black, but when you hold it up to a light, it is actually a dark midnight blue. If you hold it next to something black, you can see the difference.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.