Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Transaction List for '03

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Transaction List for '03
Is there anywhere that highlights all of the transactions in the NPB league from this offseason. I am interested in finding a place that will update the movement of players in Japan.
Comments
Re: Transaction List for '03
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 14, 2003 8:09 PM | YBS Fan ]

This page [Geocities - Japanese only] has trades and free agent movements back to 1956/7.

I'm sure that a lot of people would like this information in English, ne? So I suppose a transactions page (under Teams?) might be appropriate. I'll see what I can whip up after answering a few more questions this evening.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 14, 2003 11:15 PM | YBS Fan ]

I got a start on that list here.

Question: Is it better to order chronologically ascending or descending?
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jan 15, 2003 12:27 AM ]

That list would be great. I think it would be better to do that list ascending.
[ Author: InterestedAmericanObserver | Posted: Jan 15, 2003 11:47 AM ]

I think it would be most advantageous to put the most recent transaction at the top, as most people will be checking their teams' site for new transactions, and the first thing you see is the top of the page.

Just my opinion, of course.
Units for Salaries
[ Author: Guest: man | Posted: Mar 11, 2003 1:17 PM ]

What does "7000-man" mean under your salary histories? What is the American conversion? Just curious.
Re: Units for Salaries
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 11, 2003 1:51 PM | YBS Fan ]

Ah, I really need to get a glossary up. This is covered in a number of articles, but probably not often enough that new comers ever see it.

Salaries are given in units of man yen. 1-man equals 10,000. 10,000-man equals 1-oku. In English, there's a new name for units every three digits (after 1,000), in Japanese it's every four digits. Same concept, different number of digits.

For yearly salaries, there are just way too many digits to deal with all of them, so it's common practice in Japan to list them in units of 10,000. So, 7,000-man yen is 70,000,000 yen.

I don't know what the current yen to dollar rate is (but I do know that the price of carosine hasn't gone up - North Americans can be so gullible about supply and demand, getting gouged by the oil companies all the time), so I leave that as an exercise to the readers.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.