Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Who Retired with Nagashima?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Who Retired with Nagashima?
I have a question about the Yomiuri Giants. When Nagashima retired from the Giants, there was a final sayonara during the last game. Another Giant also retired that year and he said his sayonara to the crowd on the same day as Nagashima. I have a mental block and cannot remember his name. What's his name?
Comments
Re: Who Retired with Nagashima?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 30, 2002 8:57 AM | YBS Fan ]

If memory serves me correctly, there where three Giants who retired that final game at Tokyo Dome in 2001:

Pitcher Masaki Saitoh
Pitcher Hiromi Makihara
Catcher Shinichi Murata

Saitoh and Murata came back as part of Hara-kantoku's staff, taking the pitching coach and battery coach positions respectively.

Was one of them who you were thinking of?
[ Author: Guest: michi | Posted: Dec 1, 2002 12:38 AM ]

I think it's Murata. I have a clear picture of his face, his hair sort of parts in the center. I tried doing a search on the 3 you listed but only found Saitoh's picture. Anyone have a link to Murata's picture for confirmation? this is bugging me now. Thanks.
[ Author: Guest: Phillylee | Posted: Dec 4, 2002 12:07 PM ]

If my memory serves me correct, when Nagashima retired, as a player, from the Giants, Nomura, who was a catcher for those Giant teams, retired the same year.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.