Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Yomiuri Giants on YES

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Yomiuri Giants on YES
How are MLB games aired in Japan? As I understand it, NHK airs the popular Mariners games, but is this because of a deal worked out with the MLB and the Mariners, or does NHK air most MLB games in Japan? I'm curious because if the Yankees air Yomiuri games on their YES network in the US, could Yomiuiri work a deal to get exclusive coverage of Yankees games on their own Nihon network? If Matsui ends up with the Yankees, and recent history as to the popularity and interest in star Japanese players on US teams is any indicator, having such exclusive coverage could result in huge profits for Yomiuri and the Yankees.
Comments
Re: Yomiuri Giants on YES
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Nov 16, 2002 8:09 PM ]

An important distinction must be made that all too often is lost in the American media. MLB games are broadcast on NHK-BS, that is, NHK's Broadcast Satellite channel, not their regular public broadcasting channel. Not everyone gets NHK-BS. The rates are higher, and you have to have a special tuner for your TV, and possibly a dish.

As I understand it, NHK's deal is with MLB International. I'm not sure on the specifics, but judging from the broadcasts, it seems as if NHK pays for the rights to the play-offs and so many regular season games, of which it seems to get its pick. Or maybe it only negotiates for the games of teams with Japanese players on them. I do know that in 2001, NHK aired Mariners games, Mets games, and Red Sox games.

If Nihon TV and YES work out a deal, it is most likely that any Yankees games will be broadcast on NTV's sister satellite channel, which is less commonly received than NHK's satellite channel. NTV doesn't even show Yomiuri Giants games in their entirety, so I have doubts they'll show Yankees games on their network. OTOH, it would be pretty early in the morning, when NTV doesn't have much else better to broadcast.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.