Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Brazilian 17 years old RHP 94mph - Rookie

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Brazilian 17 years old RHP 94mph - Rookie
Please, excuse my English version.

I'm a Brazilian baseball fan who wants to know about Brazilian ballplayers in Japan Leagues. Recently I heard a young Brazilian, Anderson Gomes de Oliveira, sign a contract with Daiei Hawks. Is it true? Can you link me to a English webpage, news or any information about this guy?

Brazilians are very proud about his performance, he's only 17 years old RHP who throws a 94mph fastball.

Thanks very much,

Andr
Comments
Re: Brazilian 17 years old RHP 94mph - Rookie
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 11, 2002 9:26 AM | YBS Fan ]

Your English is perfectly fine with me.

I'm afraid that I hadn't seen any such news, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

Two sites that do a really good job of gathering all the news in Pro Yakyu are Garland-guru's Today's News column (and archives) and Borisov-san's Russian League Baseball (don't let the name fool you - it's a collection of English press releases about Japanese baseball).

Wish I could have been of more help.
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: May 12, 2002 3:58 PM ]

Yes, the Hawks did sign Anderson Gomez dos Santos to a contract, though given his age and the fact that I haven't seen any mention of him having a breaking pitch
(just a fastball and a changeup), I believe that it will be 2-3 years before he will be a viable candidate for time with the big club. The Yankees were reportedly interested in dos Santos, which is why he was able to command about $700,000 to sign him (that includes his signing bonus and two year salary, iirc).

Also, the Yakult Swallows have a Brazilian of Japanese parentage down on the farm right now named Tsugio Sato. They had two other players from Brazil, but I think they've been released. Sato had a very good spring training and you could see him up when
rosters expand in September.

And if you ever get to Japan, I understand that Hamamatsu, Shizuoka Prefecture has a good size Brazilian community.
[ Author: Guest: Andre Dielle | Posted: May 14, 2002 5:35 AM ]

Mr Garland,

Thanks for replying my original message.

Do you know the value of his signing bonus? I believe this value is a Brazilian record. Was the reported interest of the NY Yankees was published in any media? Please, elucidate it to me.

The guy has many others skills, but, among a lot of American and Japanese top prospects he shall produce a real impact with his fenomenal fastball.

My best regards,

Andr
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: May 14, 2002 2:07 PM ]

The amount of his signing bonus wasn't specified, but it probably took up most of the money he will end up receiving. If I had to guess, I would think the bonus was in the $500,000 range since most new Japanese players make less than $100,000 a year (in fact, it's not uncommon for them to make as little as $50,000).
[ Author: Guest: Ed Roman | Posted: May 14, 2002 9:59 PM ]

I was curious because I saw this young man pitch in Miami, in a try out, and I thought he was going to sign with the Yankees. Based on your response, he seems to have received less than the Yankees where offering. Could you check up to see what the bottom line is on this?
[ Author: Guest: Andr | Posted: May 15, 2002 3:34 AM ]

Hello Mr. Roman,

This guy is really a power hurler, don't you think?? Could you tell me your final impression about his performance? (as a scout, could I say?).

The contract with the Daiei Hawks seems to need a little more discussion and new terms. I'll wait a few days to comment on this obscure affair. The Yankees really lost a great prospect!
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: May 15, 2002 3:01 PM ]

I have to say I was surprised he took the Daiei offer since, according to the Japanese press, he had been offered $1.5 million by the Yankees. Two things could be at work here: one, he is from a town with a Japanese-American community, so there may be some comfort factor involved; Two, if he develops rapidly, he has a chance of getting into the mediocre Hawks' rotation sooner than he would in MLB (where he is at least four years, maybe more, away from being Major League ready, especially since he not only apparently has to develop a breaking ball, but to both get some command with it and to just grow up as a human being.

Also, if he washes out with Daiei, he will still be young enough to draw some MLB interest (think Alfonso Soriano) since it's only a two year deal.

As far as his velocity, according to the Japanese press, he was throwing in the high 80's in the workouts for the Hawks, but the scouts liked his arm slot and arm speed a lot.

One thing you have to be careful of as far as the velocity of a youngster is that they can often pop off on occasion some good velocity, but doing it consistently is another animal altogether. Look at Hayato Terahara. Three MLB teams wanted him when he hit 98mph on the radar gun at the Koshien Tournament, but he's only hit 92mph at best with Daiei and has often been clocked in the mid to high 80's. So we'll see how Anderson works out. I'm rooting for him.
[ Author: Guest: Andre Dielle | Posted: Aug 20, 2002 11:20 PM ]

Mr Garland,
I heard the young guy worked one inning of scoreless relief in his first two outings in the hawks' farm. Did you read any comment about his performance?
Tks
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.