Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Do you think the homerun record will be broken this year?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Do you think the homerun record will be broken this year?
I hope so. I thought it would have been great to see Rhodes break it last year.

So who do you think has a chance to break it this year?
Comments
Re: Do you think the homerun record will be broken this year?
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: May 8, 2002 10:33 AM ]

Probably not. A slightly livelier ball was used by some Pacific League teams last year, and I think with Rhodes and Cabrera both threatening one of Pro Yakyu's most hallowed records, I don't think they'll be used this year.

I've been thinking about the whole protectiveness issues with Japanese records, and I don't think it's necessarily racism. What I think it is is that many people involved in Japanese baseball look at foreign players purely as temporarily hired help. Suketto come and suketto go, but the records are forever. I think most feel that if some guy comes in for a year or two, breaks a previously long-standing record, and then leaves, it will cheapen Japanese baseball in some way. I don't think that is necessarily true, but I'm beginning to think that it's the protective feelings players and writers seem to have about the records...
Breaking Records and Protectiveness
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 8, 2002 1:02 PM | YBS Fan ]

Well, Rhodes got off to a great start this year. I recall a headline 1/4th the newspaper's height reading that he was on pace for 77 after about 20 games. He's now hit 13 in 29 games, on pace to hit 62. I don't think that the ball is any less lively than last season.

As for protectionism, I think that there is some within the system. In fact, I can point out cases like the Giants' pitchers walking Chunichi's Yamasaki to protect Matsui's Home Run Title a number of years ago. I heard booing by the home town fans at Tokyo Dome to their not challenging Yamasaki, just as even Daiei fans were upset with their home team pitching around Rhodes at the end of last season. The press critisized both for pitching around the batters as well, as they lost a great head line that would go down in history. My point is, the fans and press, in general, would love to see some of these old records broken. They'd probably prefer it be a local boy, but will take what they can get.

And has Rhodes not gone beyond the point of "suketto" yet? He's now in to his 7th season with the Buffs. Consider that, as a suketto, Rhodes doesn't have to wait 9 years to change alliances. If you were playing for a continual cellar dweller that long, and being called on of the most powerful suketto in Pro Yakyu, wouldn't you take your wares somewhere that they'd be more appriciated?

How does one shake the suketto image? Taihoh seems to have done it. But he took a different route to get into Pro Yakyu, so he's not flagged as a foreign player when limits are set. Entering Pro Yakyu through the Industrial Leagues or Collage doesn't leave that suketto image, so how about 5 or 6 years' service?

While Cabrera last year or Seguignol (currently also with 13 home runs) this year might leave a rather bitter, cheapened feeling with many fans if they break such records their first years, I don't think the same feelings would be felt for Rhodes, who is essentially a finished product of Japan. (I often consider myself to have been "Born in the U.S.A." but "Made in Japan" as Japan has had more influence on who I've become.)

But such feelings would most likely only be held by the "powers that be" and the OB ("Old Boys") clubs. The fans and the press will enjoy it.
Re: Breaking Records and Protectiveness
[ Author: Guest: BrianH | Posted: Oct 3, 2002 2:37 PM ]

Here we go......
5 games left for Cabrera....
Yes or No: Will he do it?
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Oct 4, 2002 4:50 PM | HT Fan ]

Hope he does. Records are made to be broken - that's why we keep them.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 5, 2002 3:44 PM ]

Watching the Hawks vs. Lions right now........ interesting game.

Cabrera has gotten a couple of pitches to hit (I'm not sure, I think about 3 pitches, he hit one of them), but for the most part they've been pitching him balls that are extremely high up (the catcher actually starts to stand up as the ball is pitched), very far outside, or near his head. The Hawks don't seem to do this with any other Lion players.

One ball hit Cabrera on the elbow and he was visibly upset, he looked like he wanted to hit the catcher with his bat and yelled at the catcher, pitcher.

Then....... there was a play at the plate and Cabrera appeared to try to elbow the Hawks' catcher in the head. The catcher appeared to be shaken up and went into the dugout.

....Great. More controversy. I think the head-hunting's pretty uncalled for. Just pitch to the guy.
[ Author: Guest: BrianH | Posted: Oct 6, 2002 12:27 PM ]

They did go after Cabrera during his last at bat. That's what I like to see. Cabrera swung hard at three straight pitches and struck out. I hope his elbow's OK.
[ Author: Guest: Dusanh | Posted: Oct 6, 2002 3:16 PM ]

I also watched that game via internet. It was interesting indeed, but I really wasn't impressed by Cabrera's last at bat. He swung through 3 pitches in the low 140s, which were only 87-88 mph. Then you watch the MLB playoffs and the average fastball is at least 92-93 mph, which is 147-148 km/h... Could this be why he didn't make it in MLB? Of course maybe he's improved a lot since coming over to Japan, but I suppose if there's a hitter who's only weakness is fastballs in the mid-90s and crushes everything else, then this will be someone who'll do fine in Japan but wouldn't survive in MLB.

On a side note, there was a shot of Oh's reaction when Cabrera got hit. He's either a very good actor or was genuinely surprised. This makes me think that the pitch was either an accident or was Wakatabe's own doing.
[ Author: Guest: BrianH | Posted: Oct 7, 2002 8:40 AM ]

I don't know, the elbow might have been bothering him during that last at bat........

I think the knock on Cabrera when he was in the majors was that he couldn't hit offspeed stuff. Of course he didn't get much of an opportunity in the majors, I think he only played in 30 games with the Dbacks.

Oh and I just read the Daily Yomiuri. Sounds like the Fighters were throwing Cabrera garbage all day. Great .......
[ Author: yakult toughman | Posted: Oct 11, 2002 4:22 AM | YAK Fan ]

There is only ONE more game in this regular seasonleft for the Lions. Cabrera seems to be trying too hard to hit his 56th homer. He isn't going to break the record! He should save his effort and energy for the upcoming Japan series against the Giants!
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.