Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Autograph Collecting

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Autograph Collecting
I am a huge Japanese baseball fan. I have read many books and reserch japanese baseball. I was wondering if Japanese baseball players sign autographs by way of mail. If so, does Godzilla.
Comments
Re: Autograph Collecting
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 20, 2002 9:03 PM | YBS Fan ]

I've read that Oh-kantoku spent a great deal of time signing "color boards" sent to him while he managed the Giants back at the end of the 1980's. There's really only one way to find out, try.

One suggestion, though. Include a self-addressed stamped envelope to return the sign board to. If you're outside of the country, it may be kind of difficult to get Japanese stamps. In that case, it would be kind to include about what it would cost. The easier it is to sign and reply, the more likely it will be done and in a timely manner.

I'm sure you already know how to contact the teams, right. And don't forget to write back to say how it went!
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Mar 23, 2002 4:42 AM ]

I know that Mr. Oh signs and that is very helpful. But do you know if Big Matsui signs?
[ Author: scottboa | Posted: Apr 23, 2003 3:07 AM ]

In March of 2003, I sent autograph requests to several Japanese players. So far, I have received autographed items from Hiromichi Ishige (Orix Manager for 2003), Masumi Kuwata (Yomiuri Pitcher), and Japanese Baseball Hall of Famer Shigeo Nagashima. (Nagashima's address can be found at the StarArchive web site [Link].)

Since Canada Post does not sell Japanese Stamps, I send some U.S currency. Even Japan understands greenbacks.

Scott Boa
Ingersoll, Ontario
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 23, 2003 9:08 PM | YBS Fan ]

Thanks for the follow up. Glad to hear confirmation that requests are answered.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.