Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

All Japanese Team

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
All Japanese Team
What would the all-Japanese team be?

[This was made into a new root topic by: westbaystars on Apr 26, 2002 9:30 AM. The message this is in reply to is here].
Comments
Re: All Japanese Team
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 26, 2002 8:19 PM | YBS Fan ]

Albright-san has done a great study on Japan's Top Players. (Those who want the meat of the article and not the explanation of how the rankings were found should click here.) Players who ranked with 100 points or more are listed below:

P Masaichi Kaneda
P Kazuhisa Inao
P Keishi Suzuki
P Victor Starffin
P Hisashi Yamada
P Akira Bessho
P Yutaka Enatsu
P Masaaki Koyama
P Minoru Murayama
P Masaki Saito
P Tetsuya Yoneda
P Jiro Noguchi
P Hideo Fujimoto
P Shigeru Sugishita
P Tadashi Wakabayashi
P Manabu Kitabeppu
P Tsuneo Horiuchi
P Osamu Higashio
P Kimiyasu Kudo
P Tadashi Sugiura
P Choji Murata
P Suguru Egawa
P Mitsuo Minagawa
P Matsumi Kuwata
P Hiromi Nakao
C Katsuya Nomura
C Atsuya Furuta
C Koichi Tabuchi
C Tsutomu Ito
1B Sadaharu Oh
1B Hiromitsu Ochiai
1B Tetsuhara Kawakami
1B Katsuo Osugi
1B Hideji Kato
1B Kihachi Enomoto
1B Boomer Wells
1B Kazuhiro Kiyohara
2B Bobby Rose
2B Morimichi Takagi
3B Shigeo Nagashima
3B Sachio Kinugasa
3B Fumio Fujimura
3B Futoshi Nakanishi
3B Masayuki Kakefu
3B Michiyo Arito
SS [Yasumitsu Toyoda]
OF Isao Harimoto
OF Koji Yamamoto
OF Yutaka Fukumoto
OF Kazuhiro Yamauchi
OF Hiromitsu Kadota
OF Koji Akiyama
OF Ichiro Suzuki
OF Hideki Matsui
OF Masahiro Doi
OF Tsutomi Wakamatsu
OF Tokuji Nagaike
OF Hiroshi Oshita
OF Shinichi Eto
OF Wally Yonamine

[Note, Yasumitsu Toyoda had only 96.79 points but was the highest ranked shortstop.]

Longevity played a big role in Albright-san's standings as the ranks based on overall lifetime statistics.

Albright-san has done a number of other great statistical analysis articles which I'd recommend. And I think that one was building an All-Japan team, as you asked. I'll have to look some more for that one. I'm sure I saw one recently, though.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 26, 2002 8:52 PM | YBS Fan ]

I found it! It was in the Pro Yakyu mailing list's files section: Jim Albright's Selections for Franchise All-Star Teams (in RTF format - a virus safe and platform independent alternative to Microsoft's dangerous .doc format). This one lists the all time all stars for each team based on the players' best three years. This allows for a lot more qualifiers than the above study did. A best of the best can then be reasonably picked from this document.

Does anybody want to nominate some players - with reasons why, preferably?
[ Author: Cub Fan | Posted: Apr 28, 2002 6:23 AM ]

I was talking about current Japanese players when I asked the question, but this could be interesting. I would still like my original question to be discussed. Thank you.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.