Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Japanese people & baseball

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Japanese people & baseball
Attention all japanese baseball fans!

I am trying to get some public opinions about what attracts you about the game and what doesn't?
- Do you like the way it is played - more disciplined than in the US - or should certain elements from the US game be incorporated into the Japanese game?
- What makes you go and see a game in Japan? The atmosphere? The game strategy?
- What do you think the Japanese overall find entertaining - why would they or wouldn't they go and see the games?

Looking forward to hearing some of your views and opinions!

Cheers,
Heidi
Comments
Re: Japanese people & baseball
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Nov 2, 2001 9:14 PM ]

Attention all japanese baseball fans!

By this do you mean all fans of Japanese baseball, or all Japanese fans of Japanese baseball? Shall we answer if we are not Japanese?

- Do you like the way it is played - more disciplined than in the US - or should certain elements from the US game be incorporated into the Japanese game?

I think good fundamental baseball is always good. I would just like to see a little less timidity in Japanese baseball. I think the majority of players are great players, but I think most managers in Japan play not to lose, rather than play to win. Generally, third-base coaches will err on the side of caution, instead of picking their moments to be aggressive or cautious. Not that I like violence or anything, but I notice that in Japan no slides hard into second to break up the double play, and no one will try to bowl a catcher over at a play at the plate. I would like to see baseball in Japan continue to be fundamentally sound, but more aggressive.

What makes you go and see a game in Japan? The atmosphere? The game strategy?

It's baseball, the greatest game in the world! When I'm in Japan I don't have much opportunity to watch MLB on TV, and for watching in person there is only Japanese baseball. It is said that baseball and yakyu are two different yet similar sports, but I think they are similar enough for me.

What do you think the Japanese overall find entertaining - why would they or wouldn't they go and see the games?

It has been my impression that the Japanese love drama. In America, the love of sports is tied up in the love of the unpredictable nature of sports; we love sports in America because we can expect the unexpected.

On the other hand, in Japan they love to expect the expected. Their idea of drama tends to a little less fluid than in America. In America we like seeing things we've never seen before, whereas in Japan the fans are satisfied if the Yokozuna wins in sumo, the number four batter hits a home run and the ace pitcher dominates the other team for a full 9 innings in baseball, or the star forward for the soccer team scores the winning goal.

I hope this is helpful, even if you are not looking for any Americans' opinions.

Good luck!
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 2, 2001 11:01 PM | YBS Fan ]

- Generally, third-base coaches will err on the side of caution, instead of picking their moments to be aggressive or cautious.

You must not have taken in many Yokohama BayStar games last season. The third base coach (I don't remember if it was Takagi or Aoyama) would wave people around third base when the ball was already on its way back to the infield. It drove me nuts! We had so many runners cut down several meters from the plate last season that one could just cry. Agressive, fine. But that was sending runners in on a suicide run. While I do remember it actually paying off due to a bad throw one time, I would have preferred caution a little more often.

- Not that I like violence or anything, [...] and no one will try to bowl a catcher over at a play at the plate.

I have a distinct image of Kanemoto doing just that on at least one occasion. Perhaps Hiroshima ball is more your style. They are certainly quick and agressive on the base paths. And Kanemoto is one who will try to take out a catcher.
[ Author: Guest: mijow | Posted: Nov 3, 2001 4:42 PM ]

- Not that I like violence or anything, [...] and no one will try to bowl a catcher over at a play at the plate.

But this happens all the time when the Giants and Tigers play.
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Nov 5, 2001 7:41 AM ]

> - Generally, third-base coaches will err on the
> side of caution, instead of picking their moments to
> be aggressive or cautious.

>
> You must not have taken in many Yokohama BayStar
> games last season. The third base coach (I don't
> remember if it was Takagi or Aoyama) would wave
> people around third base when the ball was already on
> its way back to the infield. It drove me nuts! We
> had so many runners cut down several meters from the
> plate last season that one could just cry.
> Agressive, fine. But that was sending runners in on
> a suicide run. While I do remember it actually
> paying off due to a bad throw one time, I
> would have preferred caution a little more often.
>
> - Not that I like violence or anything, [...] and
> no one will try to bowl a catcher over at a play at
> the plate.

>
> I have a distinct image of Kanemoto doing just that
> on at least one occasion. Perhaps Hiroshima ball is
> more your style. They are certainly quick and
> agressive on the base paths. And Kanemoto is one who
> will try to take out a catcher.

I am, of course, speaking generally. I'm not trying to put down j-ball or anything. The play such good fundamental ball it's hard to find anything especially wrong with it. But if I am asked what I'd change, I have to say I would just make it a bit more aggressive. That's all.
[ Author: hamadora | Posted: Nov 5, 2001 7:41 AM ]

The reason why I like Japanese baseball is simple. I grew up with it. Probably the same reason why you like MLB.

I have watched MLB a few times and they seem to be more agressive than Japanese baseball, but Japanese baseball on the other hand is more technical. There might be more spectacular fine plays in MLB but sometimes you see errors you never see on Japanes baseball like (tonneru) the ball gowing between their legs in the outfield. I often feel the American players seem to be stiff. Especially the pithers. Upper body strength might be good, better than Japanese players but they
[ Author: Guest: heidiyo | Posted: Nov 7, 2001 8:47 AM ]

Thank you all for your views and opinions - was very interesting read and will help me - both the Japanese and the American views

Just one more question - I was wondering if anyone could tell me how they market the baseball in Japan? I have read about this carneval-atmosphere, almost circus-like feel in the games in the US, but is the promoters' approach similar in Japan - or is it more the game that appeals than the 'event'? Please go ahead and correct me if I am wrong in any of my perceptions - I am really not an expert in baseball!

Thanks again to everybody for sharing your opinions - very useful!!

Heidi
[ Author: Guest: Jeff Matlock | Posted: Apr 19, 2002 10:21 AM ]

Marketing baseball in Japan is like marketing cross-country skiing in Finland - it's the national sport, everyone tries it as a kid, so why bother? Marketing becomes an issue in the United States, where football and other sports gnaw away at baseball's fan and participant base.
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Apr 19, 2002 1:52 PM ]

> Marketing baseball in Japan is like marketing
> cross-country skiing in Finland - it's the national
> sport, everyone tries it as a kid, so why bother?
> Marketing becomes an issue in the United States,
> where football and other sports gnaw away at
> baseball's fan and participant base.

Two reasons.

One, NPB is coming under competition from J-League soccer. J-League is not going to put NPB out of business, but it can cut into its revenue, particularly with World Cup fever coming.

Two, Japan is in a recession. In good times, people are not going to think much at all about paying 3,000-5,000 yen on a game. But when economy's bad, people may need some convincing to come out to the ballpark.
[ Author: seiyu | Posted: Jan 9, 2002 12:18 AM ]

The biggest reason I still like Japanese baseball is because there is no free agency for 9 years. Which means that you can cheer for a player in one team for a long long time. Getting traded is a big deal in Japan. I just can't stand MLB when it comes to free agency. My favorite player happens to be Rickey Henderson, but the guy has moved and has been traded so many times that I don't remember all the teams that he played for. Of course, like in the MLB where Yankees gets all the good players, Giants seems to get all the good ones. But at least you can delay that to happen for 9 years.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.