Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Baseball Fans

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Baseball Fans
I was watching some J-ball on the news and I saw that the fans were very, very into the game,compared to the baseball fans in the U.S., so i was wondering who do you think has the craziest, most hardcore fans in baseball: Japan or the U.S.

Also I was reading on some website that in every inning the fans have a certain cheer for that inning. So I am wondering if anybody could shine some light on that.
Comments
Re: Baseball Fans
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Oct 23, 2001 2:14 PM ]

> I was watching some J-ball on the news and I saw that
> the fans were very, very into the game,compared to
> the baseball fans in the U.S., so i was wondering who
> do you think has the craziest, most hardcore fans in
> baseball: Japan or the U.S.

I think neither; hardcore fans are hardcore fans. Like most things between Japan and the U.S., I think it's not a matter of more or less, but just a matter of different styles.

Let me give you an example. When an American fan or player (particularly one from L.A.) sees a game in Japan, they are immediately struck by the oendan: the cheering groups. They are amazed at the continuous drum-pounding, horn-blaring, cheer chanting festival going on in the bleachers. And heck, this even goes on at a Marines-Fighters game! What they don't notice is that, aside from perhaps clapping to the rhythm the oendan is pounding out, the people in the other parts of the stands aren't doing much cheering. In fact, if you take the oendan out of the stands, Japanese fans are quite quiet.

But when a Japanese fan or player goes to the U.S., they are amazed at how into the game the fans seem to be. The fans cheer when their pitcher gets two strikes on a batter, and they all stand to anticipate and cheer the final out. They applaud good plays made by the other team, and as Nomo and many Japanese found out this year, when they think they may see something memorable, even if it's a no-hitter thrown by the opposing pitcher, the American fans get excited and cheer for its success. The visiting Japanese person doesn't notice the morons fooling around with a beach ball, the people coming late, talking on their cel phones, and then leaving early.

Invariably, I've found that the novelty of the different style is what appeals to many people. I've sat among the Tokyo Giants oendan and found it incredible. A Japanese friend of mine joined me for a Yankees-Twins game at the Metrodome this year, and told me he got goosebumps when the crowd stood for the final out and let out a giant roar when Radke got the strikeout.

I like the American style because of the freedom involved. If you want to cheer for your pitcher, you can. In Japan, it's the other oendan's turn to cheer when their team is up to bat, so you can't really cheer for your own team then. But I'm not knocking the Japanese style at all. The oendan's enthusiasm is quite contagious, and when I go to games I always try to bring something to pound on.

But basically, in Japan as in the U.S., it's the die-hard fans who are making the most noise anyway.

> Also I was reading on some website that in every
> inning the fans have a certain cheer for that inning.
> So I am wondering if anybody could shine some light
> on that.

They don't have certain cheers for certain innings; they have certain cheers for each player. When I was in the right-field bleachers for Game 2 of last year's Nihon Series, the guy next to me showed me a sheet of paper with all the cheers for each of the players. When that player comes up to bat, they do that player's cheer. Usually there's a special cheer, and then a general "Ganbare (Go for it!) So-and-So!"

For example, here's the Giants' Yoshinobu Takahashi's special cheer song:

Tatakau otoko no fiirudo ni; moeru otoko no ni-juu-yon;
Dangan aachi wo sutando e; sore buchikome Yoshinobu!

Roughly translated:
On the field where men battle; 24, the fiery man;
A bullet arch into the stands; slam it out, Yoshinobu!

This would be followed by "GAN-ba-RE, YO-shino-BU!" And then the song and cheer would be repeated as long as Takahashi's plate-appearance lasted.

There are also some general cheer songs sung on order of the guys conducting the oendan. The Giants have, for example, "With Fighting Spirit!" "Champions! Samurai Giants", "Go Go Giants", "Star of the Giants", and "Viva! Giants!"

While I don't think Japanese fans are any more crazy or hardcore than American fans, I must say that if you ever get a chance to sit among the oendan, take it. You may love it, you may hate it, but you'll never forget it. And it will make you hoarse.
[ Author: Guest: Jeff Matlock | Posted: Apr 16, 2002 10:14 AM ]

Comparing/generalizing about whole populations, Japan has the States beat. Baseball is it in Japan, while Americans can't decide if they even like baseball more than football. As for those folks actually in the stadium, almost everyplace in Japan has its noisy outfield cheer groups. Stateside, it runs the gamut from noisy in Oakland (three hours of taiko drumming) to zombified in Tampa Bay.
[ Author: seiyu | Posted: Apr 17, 2002 11:22 PM ]

I agree. Sumo is Japan's national sport, but baseball is the most popular of sports. Soccer still ain't up there yet. When I came to the States, I was surprised that many boys can't play baseball. In Japan, all boys play baseball.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.