Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Playing in Japan?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Playing in Japan?
Hey, new to the site. So, sorry if there's some unwritten rule I tread on... that being said:

I lived in Japan for a couple months and have just entered college here in Seattle. I have always wanted to play in Japan just as badly as in the MLB.

Anyway to put myself out there to have a chance in the NPB?
I know a decent amount of Japanese and let's assume I'm at the skill level of a Minor League player.

Thank you so much for reading and thank you in advance!
Comments
Re: Playing in Japan?
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 15, 2010 10:09 AM ]

Just go to the Minor Leagues in the US. That's where NPB teams recruit. At the same time, you can aim for the MLB.
[ Author: sonosuke | Posted: Aug 15, 2010 10:26 AM ]

That's what I've gathered from hunting for information, thank you.
[ Author: IsaacWA | Posted: Aug 18, 2010 2:06 AM | CHU Fan ]

You can tryout for Yomiuri,
Taken from the Pro Yakyu News portion of this forum:
http://yakyubaka.com/2010/08/02/yomiuri-giants-to-hold-a-tryout-in-september/
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 18, 2010 2:38 AM ]

He just entered college. The NCAA eligibility and Pro tryouts don't go well together.
[ Author: IsaacWA | Posted: Aug 18, 2010 3:52 AM | CHU Fan ]

Depending on the situation, it could be permissible

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/ncaa/NCAA/Legislation+and+Governance/Eligibility+and+Recruiting/Faqs/amateurism_tryouts?pageDesign=Printer+Friendly+General+Content+Layout#tryout_professional
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Aug 18, 2010 6:50 PM | NIP Fan ]

This'll sound blunt, but you should have considered going to college in Japan, where you'd definitely stand out a lot more and be noticed. Scouts for both countries are always at the bigger college games here, looking for guys to draft or looking for guys who might slip through the draft.

I don't think the NPB really scouts US colleges for guys; I'm not sure what the point would be as they wouldn't/couldn't draft any of the players or even compete with what MLB could offer any of the really good talent.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.