Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

CL 3rd Place Race

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
CL 3rd Place Race
After a depressing visit to Hiroshima early August (I didn't manage to see a game in Yokohama), when all looked lost for the mis-firing Carp, I am following with amazement the race for 3rd in the Central League. Yakult seem to be bottling it and Carp and Hanshin have suddenly found form - in Carp's case this seems to be a result of the middle order suddenly remembering how to bat!
All of a sudden Carp are (at least in a few seconds - the game against Hanshin is about to end) 1 game behind Hanshin and 4.5 behind Yakult. Could Carp make it this year? If they did, would Brown be asked to stay? Whatever happens, it is looking like September is going to be an interesting month for the followers of the three teams involved.
Comments
Re: CL 3rd Place Race
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Sep 5, 2009 7:53 PM | HAN Fan ]

If I recall correctly, Brown's contract for next year did depend on delivering a third place finish. If not bye bye, if successful, another year.
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Sep 9, 2009 11:25 AM | YAK Fan ]

The Swallows are certainly acting like they don't want the final Playoff spot, and personally I'd love to see Hiroshima make the playoffs to see a fresh new face in there. If you want it, just stave off the Tigers and I'm sure Yakult will pretty much give it to you. As a Swallows fan, I've pretty much given up hope that the Swallows will go anywhere, even if they do happen to stumble into the playoffs.
[ Author: Cardiff Carp | Posted: Sep 10, 2009 2:36 AM | HIR Fan ]

Yes, it really is looking like the Swallows are in a rut they can't get out of. Meanwhile the Tigers and the Carp are gaining, and have almost identical W-L records for August and September - who will crack first? Being a Carp fan has turned me into an eternal pessimist, but could this year be different from last?
As far as the manager is concerned, Brown had a similar agreement with the owner, Matsuda, last year, but was asked to return because Carp 'nearly' made 3rd place! This year it will be 3rd or out, although I am not sure even 3rd will be enough - the talk in Hiroshima is that Nomura Kenjiro, who retired as a player in 2005, is being lined up to replace Brown next season.
[ Author: gotigersredsox | Posted: Sep 12, 2009 5:19 PM ]

I have mixed feelings about the Tiger's run. Of course it would be great to see them come back and get in, but this also means they would have to play the Dragons in Nagoya. Fortunately, in a 3-game series, anything can happen.
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: Sep 18, 2009 1:40 PM | HT Fan ]

Naturally the late-season theatrics of the Tigers-Carp-Swallows Race for 3rd has this Torakichi in a state of total shinjiraremasen! It looked hopeless not too long ago. But now I wake up each morning salivating to see those standings. Can they do it? And if so, how in heck would the Tigers advance further than the 1st round of the playoffs? (this sounds like the tease at the end of the old Batman TV show, part 1). Holy Rokko Oroshi, Caped Crusader, can they pull it off? Can the Tigers bring home the bacon in 2009?
[ Author: ht_fan | Posted: Sep 20, 2009 6:08 AM | HAN Fan ]

Let's hope we do some BANG! WHAM! POW! and manage to finish 3rd! ^____^

[ Author: gotigersredsox | Posted: Sep 25, 2009 1:31 PM ]

So any predictions on which team is going to get the final playoff spot? Obviously the Carp and Tigers are playing better baseball now (not including the Tigers' disaster against the BayStars), but the Swallows get the Tigers at home next week, where they have played them tough this year. In any case, the winner will probably be quickly defeated at Nagoya Dome, but it should be an exciting couple weeks of baseball. Pretty much no races in MLB this year, so looking forward to it!
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 29, 2009 11:34 AM | YBS Fan ]

Predicting this one is tough. It seems like they all win or all lose at the same time, just enough to keep it close. The Tigers are known for choking at the end, as are the Carp. The Swallows just haven't looked like they have what it takes the past couple of months, yet the past couple of weeks have looked like the most promising.

I'll go out on a limb and say that Yakult will get the honor of losing in two to Chunichi.
[ Author: Cardiff Carp | Posted: Sep 30, 2009 4:31 AM | HIR Fan ]

Unfortunately I agree. Earlier optimism has changed to the all too familiar one of disappointment. Carp's recent losing streak, mirrored by Yakult's similar winning streak, has left Carp too far back with Yakult on a good roll. Only a miracle can help Carp now - they need to beat Hanshin and Yakult in their one remaining game against each, and hope that Yokohama continue to roll over the next four times they play them.
Can't see it happening!
[ Author: gotigersredsox | Posted: Sep 30, 2009 1:15 PM ]

By the way, with the teams so close, is there a tiebreaker system? I imagine that with ties (for regular season games) it makes a tie in winning percentage at the moment next to impossible, but was just curious. Considering some strange tiebreakers NPB has used in the past, I was just concerned about this.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Sep 30, 2009 5:11 PM ]

Central:
1. Number of wins
2. Head-to-head
3. Last year's place

N.B. Only for the first place, if there is a team that has more wins than the highest winning % team, a three-game playoff takes place.

Pacific:
1. Head-to-head
2. Winning % disregarding inter-league games
3. Last year's place
[ Author: number9 | Posted: Oct 9, 2009 11:02 PM ]

Woohoo! Swallows secure 3rd place and a spot in the playoffs! Hopefully I'll be able to get tickets for Nagoya Dome.
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: Oct 10, 2009 9:43 PM | HT Fan ]

Shimatta! Andoh was our un-doh-ing.
As they used to say in Brooklyn, wait 'til next year.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.