Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Violence at Ballparks?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Violence at Ballparks?
I just heard from a friend who was refused entry to Yokohama Stadium tonight despite having a reserved ticket. They told her it was dangerous to enter because there were too many people already, and due to recent fights in ballparks between fans of the Giants and other teams. Anyone heard of or seen anything like this at recent games? I was quite surprised.
Comments
Re: Violence at Ballparks?
[ Author: number9 | Posted: Jul 21, 2009 1:01 AM ]

I thought Giants fans would be rather tame compared to Tigers fans. Then again, Hanshin is [performing poorly] so far this year.
[ Author: Guest: DiscoStu | Posted: Jul 21, 2009 10:13 AM ]

The incidents I heard about happened in Kanto, not Koshien. In any case, it was just something I heard from the friend who couldn't get in the stadium, so was just checking if anyone had heard of fights happening recently. I've never heard of someone being refused entry even with a reserved ticket, so it just sounded strange to me.
[ Author: Guest: JC | Posted: Jul 22, 2009 1:01 PM ]

Doesn't sound quite right to me. Was there another possible reason? Interesting that this topic came up as I have just finished reading about someone's bad experience at a ballpark on Japan Today. Interestingly, Yokohama is involved here as well, but the writer's story doesn't make much sense to me as the bleacher section of the Seibu Dome is just a seatless slope. Go figure!
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Jul 22, 2009 2:57 PM | HAN Fan ]

There are actually seats in the Seibu bleachers as well - flat bench type affairs.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Jul 22, 2009 1:05 PM | HAN Fan ]

It seems that Giants fans are becoming more violent. I wrote about an incident in my blog where they vandalized a train station entrance after a defeat to Hanshin. This took place only last Friday but I didn't hear of any fights. Maybe the Giants fans feel it's safer to take on a station than a group of Tigers fans.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.