Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Sponichi Live Baseball Pro- I Want It!

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Sponichi Live Baseball Pro- I Want It!
Browsing through the Japan store on iTunes, I came across this amazing looking app - it's just what I want, with fantastic real-time updates for Pro Yakyuu games!

Trouble is, its only available in the Japan store. Any idea if theres a way to get it for a UK-store iPod Touch? I know if it's free there's sometimes a way, but this is a paid app.

Help!
Comments
Re: Sponichi Live Baseball Pro- I Want It!
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jul 6, 2009 2:16 PM | YBS Fan ]

I've gone through the iTunes Store merry-go-round with country-based exclusivity before. I know how you feel.

The method for getting around the country-based exclusivity for music that I'd heard about was to setup an account with a credit card billed to the country you wish to be able to purchase content from. I've read about people setting up a post office box (which would forward their mail) just for that purpose. That way could get kind of expensive, though.

The other work around that I've read about is to get iTunes gift certificates for the target country via eBay and use them to make purchases.

Now for the hard part. The above explained how to make purchases for music, movies, and TV episodes. But the iPod Touch and iPhone couple the device to your account. Can you have multiple iTunes accounts on a single iPod Touch? I haven't researched that one (as I haven't looked for or been in need of anything not available in the Japan App Store).

I assume you already have http://sports.yahoo.co.jp/iphone/npb/ bookmarked for getting scores quickly.

The Sponichi Live does the same thing that Yahoo! Sports Japan NPB does, but better formatted for the iPhone. Although, turned on its side, the Yahoo! live game actually does fit quite well.

When that day (week? month?) comes that I have time to work on something I want to work on, it's definitely to get my Player Meikan to look nice on the iPhone. As it is right now, my pages are way too heavy (with JavaScript infrastructure).
[ Author: Guest: stevesayskanpai | Posted: Jul 6, 2009 9:56 PM ]

Hey Michael,

Yes I use the Yahoo site. Looks like Sponichi includes more information though - team line up, etc. Still, I will grumble a bit and then make do with Yahoo, as the work arounds are too time-consuming and not really worth it at the end of the day. It's frustrating.
[ Author: SteveNovosel | Posted: Jul 7, 2009 1:59 AM | LOT Fan ]

The Yahoo page has the lineup, bench, current stats, and all pitches - pretty much everything I can think one might want to see. Some of it is buried on tabs and sub-tabs, though.
Re: Sponichi Live Baseball Pro - I Want It!
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jul 27, 2009 6:26 PM ]

Meant to reply earlier. It does have those things on the PC version of the site, but in the mobile version you can't access those things. I know you can get around this by loading the PC version on an iPod Touch anyway though.
Re: Sponichi Live Baseball Pro - I Want It!
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 3, 2009 11:57 AM ]

I should add that the Sponichi app is now available on the UK apple store! And presumably others too.

Its basically a formatted link to live pitching, detailed reports and is better than the Pro Yakyu Yahoo link, although it does cost 3 pounds (5 dollars).

Still, worth it in my opinion.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.