Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Benny as Lead Off?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Benny as Lead Off?
I have noticed that Benny is often hitting lead off for the Marines. I don't understand this. Valentine is famous for shuffling around with the batting orders, but what is Bobby Valentine thinking here?
Comments
Re: Benny as Lead Off?
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: May 9, 2009 12:51 AM | SFT Fan ]

- I have noticed that Benny is often hitting lead off for the Marines. I don't understand this. Valentine is famous for shuffling around with the batting orders, but what is Bobby Valentine thinking here?

What exactly is your definition of a leadoff hitter? One that gets on base and steals? Now in this case, Benny gets on base, while Nishioka struggles. With Benny batting leadoff and getting on base at a higher pace it gives your 3-4-5 hitters more chances to drive in runs.
[ Author: SteveNovosel | Posted: May 9, 2009 2:30 AM | LOT Fan ]

He's thinking Benny has a really high OBP so far this year as he walks a lot (10 in 60 PA). Benny is not a swift base runner, but he is a smart and hard runner, so I don't think it's as counter-intuitive a move as you think.

I do think Benny has only gotten the start in the leadoff spot for a few games (3 or 4, maybe). He's certainly a better choice than Hayakawa or Hayasaka (both of whom have lead off several games this year). A better choice would probably be Nishioka as he gets on often and steals frequently - though he seems fixed in the 2/3 spots. Takehara has been pretty effective leading off this year as well, though with not so many PAs to this point.
[ Author: number9 | Posted: May 9, 2009 5:52 AM ]

He gets on base at a decent clip, but has been losing his power stroke over the years. So it actually makes some sense to put him at the top of the line up and have him driven in by others rather than the other way around.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.