Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Commentary on this Site

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Commentary on this Site
Hi, I'm writing a short profile about this site for Hiragana Times magazine, so was hoping some frequent contributors could leave some comments about the benefits of this site, what you use it for, how it has helped you get more info about NPB, etc. If I quote you, I'll just use your handle name or "guest." Again, just any comment about why you love/appreciate this site would be great!
Comments
Re: Commentary on this Site
[ Author: Mischa | Posted: May 4, 2009 1:57 AM | TYS Fan ]

I have been tuning in to japanesebaseball.com for about 7 years now. It is one of the premier English-language sources for Asian baseball news. Before NPB put up its English-language site in 2009, it had been the only place you could find NPB box scores in English for the past few years.
[ Author: Guest: hillsy | Posted: May 5, 2009 2:55 AM ]

I tend to do more lurking than commenting, but I really appreciate what Westbay-san has provided us with: a place for discussion as well as a place for stats and information. Not too long ago this was the only place to find NPB info on the 'net, so he really is a trailblazer in a way.
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: May 5, 2009 10:56 AM | YOK Fan ]

Hands down the best site on Japanese Baseball there is. I've been coming here for a little over a year now and it's taken my interest in the game to a whole new level.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: May 7, 2009 3:29 PM ]

JapaneseBaseball.con has been going strong since the late 1990s. And I have been visiting and learning from the site since back then. No one has done more to help people learn more about Japanese Baseball on the web than Michael Westbay. The only other person worth comparing Michael Westbay to, is Robert Whiting, who has written many books on Japanese Baseball. Even MLB teams and their scouts come here to get information.
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: May 7, 2009 6:32 PM ]

Thanks for all your helpful comments! I've finished my draft of the story, so don't need any more comments at this point. The article should be published in the June or July issue of the Hiragana Times, but I'll update that later when I find out for sure.
[ Author: Guest: Nihontone | Posted: May 8, 2009 6:08 PM ]

I'm somewhat of a lurker too. I lived in Kobe for 5 years and developed a soft spot for the Tigers. I like keeping in touch with the scores.
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: May 9, 2009 12:20 AM | HT Fan ]

I've been reading this site since the late 90's (when it was hosted by Slashdot, I believe) and commenting since 2003. I can't think of another website that I've read / participated in regularly in for that long.

I've learned a ton about Japanese baseball through this site, and a bit about the Japanese language too. It's also a great source of statistical information; even though I can read Japanese I rarely look for Japanese sources of stats.

Westbaystars-san's work on this site was also a motivating factor for me setting up my own site, NPB Tracker.
[ Author: Guest: PGOODY | Posted: May 9, 2009 3:28 AM ]

Site is great, I remember finding it by chance when I was researching a Japanese baseball video game. This site has helped to open my eyes to the Japanese game, its teams, and its players. I check it almost everyday.
[ Author: gotigersredsox | Posted: Sep 1, 2009 4:09 PM ]

I realize that this is an old thread, but I just need to add this.
Just updating that the article has now been published. You can read it in the September issue of Hiragana Times. Not too sure where it's sold these days, but Kinnokuniya is always a good bet. Thanks to all who added comments!
[ Author: pigskins15 | Posted: Sep 15, 2009 2:37 PM | YBS Fan ]

Japanesebaseball.com is one of the best sites for japanese baseball on the internet. There has been many others that have started but Japaneseball.com is the standard. Thank you Westbay for all the work you have done from people of the world
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.