Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Expansion

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Expansion
I would like to know if there are any plans for expansion or relocation in either the Central or Pacific Leagues. Maybe there will be new teams outside of Japan? Thank you.
Comments
Re: Expansion
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 28, 2001 8:13 AM | YBS Fan ]

I very much like the idea of expansion and the formation of a "true" Pacific League covering Japan, Korea, and Taiwan (for starters). I'm short on time right now, but will search for and post some of the "essays" I've written on the subject later.

As for current plans, there aren't any that I've heard of. We'e in a recession right now, so expansion is rather difficult. "But it'll boost the economy" is a nice arguement, but not one that I think a conservative establishment like Pro Yakyu would consider.

There has been talk about Seibu or Nippon Ham moving to Hokkaido to the new Sapporo Dome. Seibu is considering it for a large portion of their "home away from home" games, and Nippon Ham is considering it so as to not have to compete against the Giants for use of Tokyo Dome. I think it would be a good move on the Fighting Ham's part, and bring Yakyu to Hokkaido for good.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 28, 2001 1:15 PM | YBS Fan ]

As promised, this is the article in which I think I've best outlined my idea of an "I(nternational)-Pacific League." This is the only topic I've written about that's gotten a lot of commentary from you readers, both for and against my proposal, so naturally it's my favorite. (And some of my favorite comments are those that go against what I say - so don't feel you have to agree with me on every issue.)

I await the day that the "powers that be" start moving forward and discussing this idea amongst themselves.

As always, your comments for or against are most welcome.

(Note: This is one of the articles that didn't get imported from the old system very well, so things are a bit out of order. Really, that's on my list of things to fix.)

Otanoshimi ni - Enjoy!
[ Author: Guest: Jeff Matlock | Posted: Apr 16, 2002 10:04 AM ]

What needs expansion in Japan is minor league ball, not the top two circuits.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.