Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Pacific League Playoff Game 5: Was it a Block?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Pacific League Playoff Game 5: Was it a Block?
From my vantage point down the first base line, it looked to me like Noda, the Seibu catcher, did not have home blocked when Valdes was called out at the plate with what would have been the Hawks' second run in game 5 of the playoffs on October 11. Knowing I am prejudiced, I would like to hear from an impartial observer (not a Lions' fan or Hawks' fan). Did they show a good replay on TV? Did Valdes' foot come over home before the tag as my eyes observed, or was that just my heart ruling over my head?

Anyhow, it was a great game.
Comments
Re: Pacific League Playoff Game 5: Was it a Block?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 12, 2004 8:08 AM | YBS Fan ]

The TV showed the play from behind, so I can't say for sure if the entire plate was blocked or not. But it appeared that Noda had at least 90% of it blocked. If there was an uncovered portion, it was the back corner closest to the umpire.

From what I could see, Noda made one of the best blocks of the plate I'd seen in a long time. His left leg was down over the plate with shin guard turned to protect himself.

As for impartiality, I'm a BayStar fan, but was rooting for Daiei this series.
Re: Pacific League Playoff Game 5: Was it a Block?
[ Author: daijnj | Posted: Oct 12, 2004 12:50 PM | FSH Fan ]

Thanks for the reply.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.