Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

New Foreign Players For 2005

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
New Foreign Players For 2005
Or there any foreign players Japanese baseball teams are really keen on acquiring for 2005?

How about Chen Chin-Feng? He's struggled to make it with the Los Angeles Dodgers, but he's hitting .297 with 20 HRs and 65 RBIs with the Las Vegas 51s. In 2003, he batted .281 with 26 HRs and 86 RBIs. At 27, he's about to become one of those so-called six-year free agents, since he only has four games in the Major Leagues I think. He doesn't even have 20 at-bat and hasn't been given much of a chance. I know he's 0-for-13, but that doesn't say much.

If Chen's not good enough for the Majors, maybe he's good enough for the Japanese leagues which is considered a step higher than Triple-A but a step below MLB.
Comments
Re: New Foreign Players For 2005
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Sep 3, 2004 12:18 PM ]

- Or there any foreign players Japanese baseball teams are really keen on acquiring for 2005?

Japanese GM's are probaly just starting to look at foreign players.

- How about Chen Chin-Feng?

Chen, to me, would be a good candidate in the NPB. But Chen would have to be ready and prepared to play in Japan. If he is I could see him being successful in Japan.
[ Author: Guest: Tsuyoshi | Posted: Sep 8, 2004 1:12 PM ]

Not all foreign players adjust well to playing in Japan.

The Chiba Lotte Marines are still waiting for Korean "sensation" Lee Seung-yeop to light it up. He's hitting just .236 with 13 HRs and 48 RBIs in 94 games.

Furthermore, Benny Agbayani is having a tremendous year for the Mariners hitting .313 with 33 HRs and 95 RBIs in 122 games. They might keep Matt Franco around. He's batting .281 with 15 HRs and 60 RBIs. He's certainly better than Lee right now.
[ Author: Guest: Shirley | Posted: Sep 8, 2004 1:19 PM ]

I think there has to be more than just one farm system for each team. Many players down at ni-gun just aren't getting the chance to show their stuff.

I like the kid the Chunichi Dragons signed out of Taiwan for this season, Chen Wei-yin. The 18 year old has a 3.52 ERA (23 innings). He's walked seven and struck out 21 batters.

Are there any more hot prospects from Taiwan that Japanese teams are looking at?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.