Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Yakyu Restoration - Revitalize Baseball

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Yakyu Restoration - Revitalize Baseball
In 1869 those who were dissatisfied with the Edo Bakufu revolted and ignited the Meiji Restoration. Are the circumstances such in Japan today that Watanabe-shogun will be overthrown in a Yakyu Restoration to establish pure baseball in Japan and Asia (throwing out a system protecting it from the outside world like that of the Edo Jidai)?

The vision is to revitalize Japanese baseball by throwing off the current mental shackles and creating a league offering truly professional and international opportunity and competion in Japan, Korea, Taiwan, and Hong Kong. Are there any businessmen with such vision here in the 21st century?
Comments
Re: Yakyu Restoration - Revitalize Baseball
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Jul 20, 2004 2:23 PM | HAN Fan ]

Hong Kong? Maybe cricket or soccer?

Japan, Korea, Taiwan, and Australia is more like it.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jul 20, 2004 3:42 PM ]

With money on the line and greed on top of their mind, I doubt that the plan would work. Great comparison though.
[ Author: KJOKBASEBALL | Posted: Jul 22, 2004 8:52 AM | HT Fan ]

I may start sounding like a broken record, but it certainly seems plausible that Seoul (pop. 20.25 million) and Taipei (pop. 7.35 million) teams could be economically feasible and join up with the Japanese based teams to form two Asian leagues. Australia might cause some travel difficulties in distance and in cost, but Seoul and Taipei are not that far away.
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Jul 22, 2004 2:37 PM | HAN Fan ]

I just mentioned Australia because they are more plausable than the initial post of Hong Kong. I agree that logistically and from a talent standpoint Australia is a stretch.

Taiwan's season starts about a month before the Japanese and Korean seasons because of the torrential rains in the middle of the season. Probably the most logical is to maintain the respective NPB, KBO, and CPBL schedules and have an Asian championship at the end of the season.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jul 22, 2004 8:28 PM | YBS Fan ]

As those of you who have been around know, I'm very much in favor of seeing a Pacific Rim League happen - preferrably with the Pacific League taking charge and being a leader in advancing baseball in the Pacific.

However, since I've started studying Taiwanese baseball, and started thinking about the merger from the Korean and Taiwanese perspectives, I've started to have some doubts about the feasibility - unrelated to logistics.
  • While a flight from Tokyo to Seoul can be cheaper than a flight to Hokkaido at times, is the reverse the same? Same with Taipei? While the Japaense teams may be able to afford it, will the teams in Korea and Taiwan be able to afford flight, occomidations (hotel rates are much higher in Japan), and other costs when coming for a tour of a few Japanese ball clubs?

• Will Japanese clubs share gate reciepts as an incentive (and to offset costs) for teams to come to Japan? They don't share with the other dometic teams now, how can they be expected to place nice with foreign guests? Conversely, is there any financial incentive to play in Korea and Taiwan?

• While I'm sure that fans will come in great numbers while this is new, will they continue to go to the ballpark to see international baseball?

The last item has really been eating at me since I started invistigating the CPBL and TML merger. Look at the average attendance for games in the CPBL:

Year Games Total Avg.
    1990 180 899,955 5,000
    1991 180 1,050,405 5,836
    1992 180 1,238,063 6,878
    1993 270 1,600,549 5,928
    1994 270 1,607,677 5,954
    1995 300 1,646,361 5,488
    1996 300 1,364,424 4,548
    1997 336 685,832 2,041
    1998 315 690,089 2,191
    1999 278* 496,433 1,786
    2000 180 301,671 1,676
    2001 180 337,707 1,876
    2002 180 532,304 2,957
    2003 300 958,596 3,195
    Total 3,449 13,410,066 3,888

* 1999 was shortened due to a large earthquake. [Source - CPBL.com.tw in Chinese]

As you can see, the average attendance for baseball in the CPBL is a digit less than games in Japan. CPBL apparently had an identity crisis for a while and lost many fans, but even at the height of their success, they couldn't even manage an average close to the lowest market Japanese team. (I'm still looking for complete TML attendance records, by the way.)

How about in Korea? I haven't really looked into Korean attendance at all, so any input anyone can come up with will be much appriciated.

The one positive aspect with attendance that I can report is that, when Daiei hosted Orix in Taipei in May of 2002, the two game series saw 11,000 and 12,000 fans respectively. That tells me that it is possible to draw in Taiwan. Furthermore, the Japanese teams may actually have the effect of raising attendance in Taiwan. At least, until the novelty wears off. But comparing 11,000 fans at a game in Taipei to better than 45,000 fans a night at Fukuoka Dome, it's not much to get the Japanese owners excited about.

One thing I got from reading the "Ninja Catchers" paper about Taiwanese baseball is that the Taiwanese actually prefer Japanese baseball to MLB. If this is still true or not, I can't say, but after having their own benevolent dictator following the Japanese emperial rule seemed to give the Taiwanese a more appriciative feeling toward the Japanese for introducing the game to them than I get the impression that Korea feels. It's going to take some strong leadership to make such a league work, but will such leadership from the Pacific League feel too much like emperical encroachment of almost a century ago?

Essentially, the question I never asked myself before was:

What will such a merger look like from the Korean or Taiwanese point of view?

There is a lot of history between these three countries. There is so much potential if these three countries could come together and work as one (in baseball and other facets of life). I really want to see something work here, but fear that political, economic, and xenophobic barriers will prevent this dream from becoming a reality in the near future.

Really, I'm usually much more optomistic than this. I guess seeing how the owners are totally ignoring everyone not on the board of those 12 companies is getting to me. The Central League owners are just against the merger into one league, they don't care one way or the other about Kintetsu and Orix merging. This is the root of the problem! Why can't they see that?

[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Jul 24, 2004 2:25 AM | HAN Fan ]

The Korean Baseball Organization had 2,720,979 attendees in 2003. Each of the eight KBO teams play 133 games or a league total of 532 dates. The average KBO attendance for 2003 was 5,115 per game. This is above CPBL, but from an attendance standpoint, still "minor" league compared to NPB. Both the KBO and CPBL are regaining attendance, but still not up to the levels of their past highs.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.