Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Omar Linares

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Omar Linares
The Cuban player Omar Linares was a great star in the amateur events. Linares, who was 37 years old, was chosen the MVP in many tournaments. However he hasn't been the same player in the Japanese League.

Linares is called "The child Linares" in Cuba because he begun at an early age in the National Cuban Series. In Japan, Linares has a low average, therefore the Cuban player hasn't played in many games for his team.

I ask those who follow the Chunichi Dragons: What are your opinions about the performance of Linares in the Japanese League?

Thanks in advance.
Comments
Re: Omar Linares
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Jun 30, 2004 11:14 AM ]

Linares blows like the wind. He is awful. There's no other way to put it. He hasn't done anything since coming to Japan. I have doubts about his presumed age since he looks horrible defensively, his bat is slow as heck, and he gets hurt a lot. This is just me speculating, but he might be older than his listed age.

I guess going from an aluminum bat to a wood bat was an adjustment that was too difficult to make for Linares. Cuba always looked good in different international tournaments since they used aluminum bats, but take those aluminum bats out of their hands and you get average hitters.

Cuba, in general, hasn't produced too many studs either in Japan or the Majors. Orlando Hernandez was solid, but not superstar material, and Jose Contreras could become a pretty good pitcher, but so far he hasn't been worth the investment that the Yankees made in him.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.