Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Lefthanded Catchers and Infielders

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Lefthanded Catchers and Infielders
I had this question come up in relation to a simulation baseball league I play in. The sim created some lefty-throwing 2nd basemen and catchers, and we've been debating whether this should be allowed to happen. There hasn't been a lefty throwing catcher in American MLB since about the 1950s. What about Pro Yakyu?

And I don't think there ever has been a lefty throwing second baseman (or shortstop or third baseman for that matter) in MLB history. Again, what about Pro Yakyu?
Comments
Re: Lefthanded Catchers and Infielders
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Apr 15, 2004 11:24 AM ]

I can't speak to whether or not NPB had such players, but I believe around the turn of the century and perhaps earlier, there were a (very) few left hand throwing second basemen. Personally, I'd be surprised if the Japanese had any given the fact that by the time NPB came about, MLB orthodoxy would not countenance such players, and I'd think that idea would have found its way to Japan. Add to that the Japanese adherence to things established as orthodox for them, it sure seems such an occurrence would be unlikely.

Jim Albright
[ Author: Guest: Jeff Matlock | Posted: Apr 16, 2004 9:23 AM ]

Mike Squires was a left-handed third baseman about 20 years ago. That was in MLB, not NPB.
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Apr 16, 2004 3:15 PM | HT Fan ]

I grew up in Chicago, and I remember Squires mainly as the White Sox' first baseman. Vance Law played third most of the time.

[I apologize for this off-topic posting, but I have a soft spot for the mid-80's White Sox]
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 16, 2004 10:37 AM | YBS Fan ]

This is an interesting question. I've queried my database (most players since 1996) and found 0 left handed catchers. Here is the list players registered as infielders who throw left handed:
    +----------+--------------------+------------+
    | PlayerID | Player (Team) | Years Played |
    +----------+------------------+--------------+
    | 7 | Mori (SL) | 1996 |
    | 74 | Nakamura R. (KB) | 1996 |
    | 127 | Aikoh (CD) | 1996 - 2000 |
    | 128 | Toyama (CLM) | 1996 |
    | 206 | Taihoh (CD,HT) | 1996 - 2002 |
    | 231 | Inoue (CD) | 2004 |
    | 369 | Komada (YBS) | 1996 - 2000 |
    | 373 | Saeki (YBS) | 2004 |
    | 641 | Shima (HC) | 1999 - 2004 |
    | 708 | Sano (YBS) | 1996 |
    | 803 | Jack (CLM) | 1996 |
    | 807 | Fukuura (CLM) | 1996 - 2004 |
    | 963 | Thompson (CLM) | 1998 |
    | 971 | Matsunaka (FDH) | 1998 - 2004 |
    | 1154 | Petagine (YS,YG) | 1999 - 2004 |
    | 1182 | Jefferson (SL) | 2000 |
    | 1322 | Cruz (HT,CD) | 2001 - 2003 |
    | 1346 | Zuber (YBS) | 2001 |
    | 1548 | Semanaka (CD) | 2003 - 2004 |
    | 1577 | Cox (YBS) | 2003 |
    | 1622 | Ikeda (NHF) | 2003 - 2004 |
    | 1787 | Barnes (OKB) | 2004 |
    | 1797 | Lee (CLM) | 2004 |
    +----------+------------------+--------------+

Now, we just need to go through and eliminate those who aren't/weren't first basemen. I know that Inoue (CD) and Saeki (YBS) were listed as outfielders until this year, and that Saeki is playing first base. In fact, all of the big names above that I recognize play first base.

[Added links on Apr 16, 2004 8:41 PM JST]

[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 16, 2004 10:48 PM | YBS Fan ]

I've looked through my Record Books covering the seasons from 1995 to 2003. I can now say that there have been no left handed throwers to play catcher, second, third, or shortstop since 1995 in NPB. Most left handers become pitchers, followed by outfield, then first base. Several switch back and forth between first base and the outfield.

This is very interesting. I'd never thought about it before. I wonder why that is.
[ Author: Guest: Enrique Rojas | Posted: Apr 17, 2004 4:07 AM ]

I think Don Mattinlgy played at third base and shortstop in some tough situations for the New York Yankees a long time ago. I don't remember the date exactly, but remember Donnie Baseball did it.
[ Author: Guest: Enrique Rojas | Posted: Apr 17, 2004 4:11 AM ]

Ok, Mattingly played second base for the Yankees in only one game in 1983 and played third base in three games in 1986. Mattingly was a great defensive first baseman in all career in pinstripes.
[ Author: Basebill | Posted: Apr 17, 2004 6:44 AM | TYS Fan ]

Westbay-san,

It's because you're not lefthanded. We lefties found out early we were only going to play OF, first base, or pitcher. Mike Squires did play some third for the ChiSox and Don Mattingly made an appearence there for the Yankees. I believe he is the last lefty to play in a MLB game at third. Benny DeStefano, former Pirate, worked as a catcher in spring training, but I don't think he would have caught during his time in Japan. Hall-of-famer Wee Willie Keeler is sometimes referred to as "the last of the lefthanded second basemen."

Bill
[ Author: Guest: JIm Albright | Posted: Apr 17, 2004 10:04 AM ]

I know there's a thought about lefty catchers being blocked more often trying to throw out base stealers (more right-handed batters), but I'm not overwhelmed by that explanation.

As for third base, shortstop, and second base, when any of those charge a grounder or bunt, it is far easier for a right hander to make the throw to first. Third basemen who are right handers have their gloves on the line side, which helps cut off doubles. A lefty shortstop going into the hole has to turn against the throw to go to first. For second basemen, it is easier for a right hander to make the pivot on a double play (envision the motions, and I think you get the idea).

Jim Albright
[ Author: kojaxs | Posted: Apr 19, 2004 12:04 AM | TYS Fan ]

- I know there's a thought about lefty catchers being blocked more often trying to throw out base stealers (more right-handed batters), but I'm not overwhelmed by that explanation.

It's also just harder to throw to third as a lefty (think of the motion). A lefty has to turn his body more towards third to make the throw, wasting valuable seconds. This throw is especially difficult if there's a righty in the box. Since being able throwing to first isn't very important, this convention stuck (I guess).
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Apr 17, 2004 4:10 PM ]

I would also add that Japanese in general have a higher percentage of right-handed people (probably due to the cultural tendency to uniformity), so a rarity in the U.S. would be even rarer in Japan in these situations. I remember someone telling me when I was learning to use chopsticks (at a baseball game interestingly enough) using them left-handed and was having trouble, someone said to me I was using the wrong hand.

Here's a side note - most players I've seen who throw left-handed would almost always sign autographs right-handed.
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Apr 19, 2004 10:13 AM ]

I only came across this in passing, but during the pre-war days, there was one lefthanded thrower who played second base for 11 games. I thought it too much of a novelty to really pay attention to it. Moreover, the exact circumstances of why that happened weren't really spelled out. If I come across it again, I'll note it.

And as for DiStefano, he was listed in one source book I used as the third lefthanded catcher in MLB history. AFAIK, he didn't catch in Japan. He only played in 56 games as a first baseman is what I have.
[ Author: skritchy | Posted: Apr 22, 2004 2:39 AM ]

Wow, thanks everyone for your responses, it's much appreciated.

I personally don't think there should be any left-throwing players at the pro level whose primary positions are second base, shortstop, or third base. It's just too big a defensive handicap. It seems like NPB data, just like MLB, would support that.

As for catchers, I believe the bias towards right handed throwers has to do with the direction in which their throws to second tail away, but don't quote me on that.
[ Author: Guest: Mischa Gelman | Posted: Apr 23, 2004 10:10 AM ]

- As for catchers, I believe the bias towards right handed throwers has to do with the direction in which their throws to second tail away, but don't quote me on that.

A big part of it could be that most hitters are righty - and a lefty-throwing catcher would thus have to throw around the batter more often than a right-handed catcher would have his path blocked by the hitter.

Bill James argues that the lack of lefty catchers is "natural selection. Catchers need good throwing arms. If you have a kid on your baseball team who is left-handed and has a strong arm, what are you going to do with him?"
[ Author: Guest: Mischa Gelman | Posted: Apr 23, 2004 10:06 AM ]

- And as for DiStefano, he was listed in one source book I used as the third lefthanded catcher in MLB history.

Third in the last 50 years (along with Dale Long and Mike Squires), maybe, but not the third ever. Jack Clements caught over 1,000 games in the 19th century. Jiggs Donahue holds the 20th century MLB record with 43 games caught as a lefty.
[ Author: Guest: Joe | Posted: May 2, 2004 9:48 AM ]

I can see how being left-handed would be a liability at catcher ("the batter is in your way"), and at second base ("harder to make the double play"), and at shortstop ("harder to make the throw to first when running to your right").

However, the liabilities at third base are somewhat limited by comparison (since it's rare for a third baseman to make plays to his right). A left-hander at 3B would also have a slight advantage when running to his left and throwing to first (he doesn't have to throw across his body).

I can also think of two advantages for a left-handed catcher:
  1. it's much easier to make the pick-off throw to first; and
  2. it's easier to throw out the bunt.

There have been 20 left-handed catchers in MLB history who caught at least 2 games. A complete list can be found here [tripod.com].

About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.