Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Hisashi Yamada

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Hisashi Yamada
Hesashi Yamada was the "14th best in career strikeouts, 9th best in career innings pitched, 9th in career winning percentage, 7th in career wins with 3 MVPs, 5 Best Nine awards and 5 Gold Gloves. Also frequently was among the seasonal bests in ERA."

Wow! I don't have much comparative fielding info on pitchers before 1957, so I'll restrict myself to that. It might seem like Jim Palmer might fit, but Total Baseball only has him being the highest rated pitcher in 1975. There are still a couple of guys who were the highest rated pitcher at least three times. You get to choose between Gibson (who pitched in an era more similar to Yamada-san) or Maddux (who correlates better in terms of not relying on strikeouts). And I need to look up which hand Yamada threw with.
Comments
Re: Hisashi Yamada
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Jan 23, 2004 12:24 PM ]

I think I'd go with Maddux. He was a right handed submariner with a tendency to give up the long ball, per Fitts and Engle's book. To match the style in a starter who approaches the level of Yamada's accomplishments, I think you'd have to go to Carl Mays, and C. Mays wasn't as dominant in MLB as Yamada was in NPB.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.