Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Yutaka Fukumoto

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Yutaka Fukumoto
Yutaka Fukumoto is "second best in career runs, tied for 5th best in career hits, and had 469 more stolen bases than anyone else in Japanese baseball, [...]"

At this point we see a correlation with Lou Brock.

"[...] was 6th best in career walks."

And at this point the Brock comparison goes out the window, especially considering how highly Fukumoto-san is rated. So it must be Ty Cobb.

"He also won 10 Best Nine awards and 12 Gold Gloves."

Cobb could have certainly won the Best Nines, but he was not generally known for his glove work. So it looks like I will settle on Rickey Henderson. Henderson wasn't exactly known for his glove either, but he did have eleven seasons where he was credited with nine runs for his fielding. He probably should have gotten a Gold Glove in 1980 to go with his 1981 one, and would've just missed in 1985.
Comments
Re: Yutaka Fukumoto
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Jan 16, 2004 10:48 AM ]

Did you look at Tris Speaker? The average would be high, but might be balanced fairly well by the walks difference. Tris had power relative to the era for much of his career, and Fukumoto didn't. However, Speaker was well known for his defense.

Jim Albright
[ Author: GottaHaveWa | Posted: Jan 17, 2004 12:16 AM ]

Tris Speaker would be an interesting correlation, except that he was merely above-average on the bases. He never once led the league in stolen bases, and I can't imagine a correlation with Fukumoto who never led the league in stolen bases, even once. And as I said, Henderson's glove is nothing to sneeze at.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Jan 17, 2004 2:55 AM ]

Perhaps a Negro Leaguer is a better comparison: "Cool Papa" Bell. The walks would seem to be the only possible objection, and I think Bell's average is a little higher, which means the comparison comes back into line some if Fukumoto walks more.

Jim Albright
[ Author: GottaHaveWa | Posted: Jan 17, 2004 10:23 AM ]

That could be, and I have no idea about Cool Papa Bell's glove.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Jan 18, 2004 1:23 AM ]

James Riley's Biographical Encyclopedia of the Negro Baseball Leagues says Bell "used his speed in the field, with his great range allowing him to play a shallow center field and still run down pitchers' mistakes."

William McNeil writes similarly glowing reviews of Bell's defense. In "Baseball's Other Stars," p.73, he wrote Bell "was a center fielder extraordinaire, combining blazing speed with outstanding anticipation, a sure glove, and an accurate throwing arm." He wrote similar words about Bell in "Cool Papas and Double Duties," p.212.

If these two authors are to be believed, I'd say he was every bit the fielder Fukumoto was. Riley is a renowned expert on the Negro Leagues, and McNeil has published several well-researched books about the Negro Leagues, so they're quite worthy of belief. There's no question about Bell's speed, so the only real questions are 1) his ability to judge fly balls, 2) his arm, and 3) did he avoid Lonnie Smith's penchant for screwing up once he got the ball? There's no record I'm aware of that indicates Bell had the Lonnie Smith issue, and the sources I'm aware of say Bell was good in the other two areas.

Assuming that's accurate, a blazing fast guy with a good throwing arm who is a good judge of balls in flight is just about the definition of a superlative center fielder.

Jim Albright
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.