Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Masaichi Kaneda

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Masaichi Kaneda
Kaneda-san is another player that I wish I had a better correlation for, but I think we can come close. As Japan's leader in innings, wins, and strikeouts, he is a pretty close match for Cy Young. But Cy Young wasn't always dominating, getting a lot of his statistics because of longevity.

Walter Johnson didn't pitch in quite the games that Young did, but he was more dominating when he did pitch. If Kaneda tended to pitch for bad teams like Johnson did, maybe Johnson is a good correlation, since that did hold Johnson's win totals down.
Comments
Re: Masaichi Kaneda
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Jan 13, 2004 11:09 AM ]

Without checking, I'd think Kaneda's teams were even worse than W. Johnson's were. Kaneda's a lefty and Johnson right handed, and Johnson pitched a lot in a dead ball environment while Kaneda had to deal with at least a few guys on each team who could put a pitch in the seats. Even so, that choice is probably as good as it gets.

Jim Albright
[ Author: seiyu | Posted: Jan 14, 2004 6:57 AM ]

Kokutetsu Swallows were much worse than the Washington Senators. The Senators went to the World Series in back to back years in 1924 and '25, winning in '24. Kokutetsu was a perennial doormat.
[ Author: GottaHaveWa | Posted: Jan 14, 2004 1:05 AM ]

And I should have mentioned that we might have a very good Negro League correlation in Satchel Paige.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Jan 14, 2004 11:04 AM ]

I think I'd go with Satchel due to the fact Satch pitched in a live ball setting. Satchel was right handed, but otherwise he's a pretty fair match.

Jim Albright
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.