Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Shinjo the Ham?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Shinjo the Ham?
This past summer we went to the Sapporo Dome (because we'd never been) and had the (mis?)fortune of seeing Shinjo. After about 1 hour of seeing his antics, it practically turned us off to Shinjo completely.

Do people actually like watching him play? (Currently .251, 13 HR, 49 RBI). I mean being cocky is one thing if you put up Ichiro-like numbers (and Ichiro wasn't as much of the attention hog as Shinjo is). It's as if someone in America told him what a "ham" meant and he decided to play for Nippon Ham.

I'm just wondering what people's (in general) impression of him is?
Comments
Re: Shinjo the Ham?
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Aug 21, 2006 9:03 AM | SFT Fan ]

- I'm just wondering what people's (in general) impression of him is?

The impression I get from Shinjo is an overall positive one, as much of the fans in Japan are fans of Shinjo where ever Shinjo goes. He is an icon bigger than life, that can do no wrong, almost.

Not that I'm saying that at times Shinjo doesn't do things that can't make you scratch your head. Though in my opinion, he's a welcome sign and will be missed when he retires.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Aug 21, 2006 9:45 AM | HT Fan ]

The interesting thing is that when he played for the Tigers he rarely went to the extremes that he engages in now. The hot dogging which seems to be part of his game now sometimes makes me cringe.

Sure, showmanship has always been part of Shinjo's persona, but before, baseball always seemed to take priority.

But the fans still love him.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Aug 21, 2006 5:18 PM | NIP Fan ]

I've been a Fighters fan since the pre-Shinjo days and I have no problems with Shinjo. He does the rest of the team a service by drawing the media away from them so they can concentrate on playing baseball well.

I wouldn't say I'm a fan of his antics, but I think he definitely makes things more interesting.
[ Author: Sole_SL | Posted: Aug 22, 2006 9:06 AM | SL Fan ]

Personally, I don't mind Shinjo's style of play. He's not a player you would go for to have a high batting average and drive in a hundred runs. But he's brilliant defensively, as well being entertaining, and has brighter future outside of the game, instead of being a commentator like many retired players.
[ Author: sangubashi | Posted: Aug 25, 2006 1:05 AM | TYS Fan ]

I saw him play at Jingu for the first time and his reputation alone was enough for me not to like him. But after I saw him, it was like seeing what athletes should be like. He completely plays to the crowd 100 percent and it's more fun to watch everyone hang on the edge of everything he does. He puts you on a court side seat where you're almost part of the game, and you feel like you are.
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: Aug 29, 2006 3:25 PM | HT Fan ]

Shinjo is clearly popular with the media and certainly the Nippon Ham fans - which I find strange as that brand of self-aggrandizement is something I have usually not found much appreciated in general, either in the USA or Japan. He was a poor player in the former, and seems a so-so player in the latter. Personally I find him glib and irritating, and I have many Japanese friends who feel the same. But I suspect there is something about Shinjo that I just do not "get," so I just ignore him. 'Nuff said, change the channel and watch the Tigers!
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.