Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

That was a balk?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
That was a balk?
Did you see Hanshin play Yakult yesterday, the 6th of April? Did you see Hanshin's starter, Shimoyanagi, get called for a balk in the 4th inning? Did you, too, think, "Is that umpire on drugs?! Why is it a balk when all Shimoyanagi did was move to throw the ball to keep the runner on first base and then turn 180 degrees and move to throw it to third?"

I sure did, but then I read this:

"Baseball Regulation 8.05

Where there is a runner on base, the following shall be deemed to be a balk:

[snip]

(b) Where the pitcher is in contact with the pitcher's plate and moves as if to throw the ball to first base, but does not actually throw the ball."

From SanSpo:

"NB: When the pitcher is in contact with the pitcher's plate and there are runners on second or third bases, the pitcher may pretend to throw to those bases if he takes a step directly towards the appropriate base. However, he is not allowed to do this to either first base or the batter [Torakichi: hence Shimoyanagi's balk]. The pitcher may pretend to throw to any base on which there is a runner if he removes his supporting leg to the rear the pitcher's plate, however he is not allowed to do this to the batter."

Live and learn...

Comments
Re: That was a balk?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 7, 2003 9:53 PM | YBS Fan ]

Yes, I did see it, as a matter of fact. I was equally perplexed as I thought it was OK to fake to first then turn to third. Thanks for the rules, by the way. That probably explains what happend.

What I thought at the time, after seeing the replay, was that maybe he had gone too far farward. Shimoyanagi was pretty far farward on the mound when he made that turn, suggesting that he didn't go directly toward first.

Furthermore, the turn to third looked almost like an afterthought. I.e., after not stepping off the rubber (pitcher's plate) and faking to first, there was too long a pause before turning to fake to third, as though he thought that that would make it all right.

Finally, I thought that an exception to 8.05(b) was that the pitcher may fake to first without stepping off the rubber, but he must throw to third. I don't have the rule book myself, so I can't say if that is a real exception or not, just my impression.

But after seeing the replay, I figured that there was something wrong and that the umpires were most likely right. I couldn't say why, but I wasn't overwhelmed with disbelief like Shimoyanagi was.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Apr 8, 2003 12:09 AM | HT Fan ]

He was rather perplexed, wasn't he? After the game, a furious Hoshino said of the hapless Shimoyanagi, "I've never seen anything like that in my life. Don't they have [balk] rules in the Pa League?!" (NB: Shimoyanagi was acquired by Hanshin this off season from the Pacific League).

Hoshino knew exactly what was going on; when the TV showed him looking livid at the time, I thought he was angry at the umpire (wouldn't be the first time for ol' Ribracker Hoshino ), but in fact he was annoyed at his pitcher letting in an earned run. His mood was not improved when catcher Yano let the ball slip past him and the runner on third strolled home, giving Yakult the lead and ultimately the win.
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Apr 8, 2003 12:00 PM ]

Generally, a pitcher can fake a throw to any base but first and home plate. A fake to first is okay as long as your foot is off the rubber. In fact, the Mariners' Sasaki often does a quick foot-off-the-rubber pump-fake to first move, and I think it makes the announcers nervous. And, of course, there's the usual "fake-to-third-fake-to-first" move. I haven't seen Shimoyanagi's balk, but if his foot was off the rubber when he faked to first, he probably didn't balk.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.