Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Updating Web Sites

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Updating Web Sites
It is completely useless to have a website if it isn't kept up to date on day to day activities, scores, what is going on with a particular ball club (Hanshin Tigers). I can't get any news through any web sites in Japan in an updated day to day format. Being a person from another country, I can't understand how they think it is not important to at least keep their teams' websites current.

I hope this isn't to far out of the question, but can someone please reflect the concern for someone to just update on a day to day basis? It really is our only source of finding out how our favorite team is doing. Don't mean to be rude, but this seems to be an issue across the board on all of the websites I have contacted.

Concerned Fan
Comments
Hanshin is Updating
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 14, 2003 8:12 PM | YBS Fan ]

Are you sure you got the Hanshin Tigers' Official Site? The Column section appears to be updated once a week or so, and the Off Season News page is currently being updated pretty much daily.

If you want daily baseball news and reading Japanese isn't a problem, I'd recommend Yahoo Sports' Baseball coverage. They do real time updates of scores for all games and have news wire stories throughout the day.

If you don't read Japanese, Tigers Today by Trey T. just started up with unofficial Tigers' news. Looks good and I suspect that it will expand.

Then there's Baseball Guru Gary Garland who writes very often about what's going on over all in Japanese baseball.

But you do have a point. For the most part, the official sites aren't really that much more informative than newspapers. The only real added value that they provide is a central place for fans of a particular team to get together and chat. Those that have player information do tend to do a more professional looking job with their meikan than mine, but I, like most independents, tend to provide more information - although not necessarily more timely. (Hey, we do this out of love of the game, it's not our jobs.)

The main problem with the official sites is the lack of a way to contact the teams. It's almosts as though they don't want to hear from their fans to find out what they want, but insist on presenting them with what they want the fans to want. (Did that make sense?) It's like my recent rant about Marty and the press deciding what/who is popular.

So, I agree that there's more teams can do with their Internet presence, but I don't know how to get that message across to them. Sorry, but I can't be of much help with the "officials."
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.