Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Submarine Pitching

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Submarine Pitching
Submarine Pitching seems so dangerous and painful on the arm. Yet I see hundreds of pitchers throwing like that, even starters. I'm wondering if I should try it for fun. What age is safe for Submarine Throwing?
Comments
Re: Submarine Pitching
[ Author: Guest: chiba mariner | Posted: Apr 9, 2006 11:58 AM ]

i few days ago i saw an AWESOME display of submarine pitching by watanabe-san against the buffaloes (a game the marines won in extra inning). i would think that the career of such a performer would be somewhat shorter. as for when it might be ok for a young person to think of adopting this style i would think you would seriously be asking for trouble if you decided to do that much younger than 17 or so.
[ Author: Guest: jack | Posted: Jun 6, 2006 8:26 AM ]

I started pitching submarine when I was 11.
[ Author: Guest: patrick | Posted: Jun 30, 2006 4:19 AM ]

I'm actually a submarine pitcher, but not by choice. When I started playing baseball around 11-12 years old, this was a natural arm motion for me and I could not throw overhand. Because I wasn't forcing my arm to do this, it had no negative effect on my arm.

But unlike me, most submarine pitchers these days convert to throwing submarine and have to actually put effort into throwing a submarine style. So all I can say is that if you're going to convert to submarine, I would say do it around 16 or 17. If you have a kid that's trying to throw like this, please tell him not to do so unless it's the only way he can throw. Many coaches when I started playing baseball told me not to throw like this, but it was the only way I could throw. So unless your kid is like me, please don't let him throw submarine. Otherwise, he will hurt his arm.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.