Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Toyoda

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Toyoda
Is it just me, or does anyone else find Kiyoshi Toyoda's little hand-on-heart gesture before he pitches a little irritating? I admit that I'm biased because I've always hated the Lions and the Giants, but I hate when players try to draw attention to themselves by doing something other than playing hard and playing well.

One athlete once complained to me about Baltimore Ravens' superstar LB Ray Lewis' pre-game dance ritual saying, "Man, if you've got to do all that stuff to psyche yourself up to play, then that's pretty pathetic." I feel the same way about Toyoda.
Comments
Re: Toyoda
[ Author: Guest: npb over mlb | Posted: Apr 3, 2006 12:49 PM ]

Maybe that helps him get focased?
[ Author: Guest: Kenny | Posted: Apr 3, 2006 1:54 PM ]

I don't buy that for a second. The other 479 players in the league seem to do just fine without doing any stupid attention-drawing ritual before they play. What closer in MLB does something stupid like that before they pitch?
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Apr 3, 2006 2:18 PM | CLM Fan ]

It's awesome. This topic inspired me to capture some vide of Toyoda doing that in a video game.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Apr 3, 2006 3:32 PM | HAN Fan ]

If that's what he thinks helps him pitch well - fine. It doesn't harm anyone and is not visually vulgar like the spitting a lot of players seem to think is acceptable.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Apr 3, 2006 3:55 PM | CLM Fan ]

Yeah, in all honesty, his ERAs during his best years were ridiculously good. I think it's a ritual that helps him bring himself down and focus on getting three outs. I'm sure Welcome To The Jungle helped Gagne get hyped up to get all those saves in a row. It's all mental.
[ Author: Guest: Kenny | Posted: Apr 3, 2006 4:15 PM ]

I like "Welcome to the Jungle" because it's not like Gagne does anything. He just jogs to the mound while the music's being played.

If Toyoda wants to pray, there are plenty of churches in Tokyo for that.
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Apr 3, 2006 4:45 PM | SL Fan ]

Whatever. It looks pretentious, but it doesn't bother me. It doesn't harm anyone, as others have said.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.