Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Fantasy Japanese Baseball

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Fantasy Japanese Baseball
Does anyone know where one can play fantasy yakyu? Does such a creature even exist? I found this site [Fantasy Sports Japan] on a Google search, but the links don't appear to work.

Thanks.
Comments
Re: Fantasy Japanese Baseball
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Feb 28, 2006 1:13 PM | YBS Fan ]

Disclaimer: The computer this site is run on is owned by Fantasy Sports Japan.

A number of years ago, FSJ became the first fantasy sports site to cover Pro Yakyu. In the beginning, they were bilingual, as well. However, the interest in the English side of things wasn't worth the cost of maintaining everything in both languages, so the English section was dropped. I've tried to convince FSJ-san that there is interest by the English speaking community, but his resources are limited and he wants to see solid numbers. (He's been trying to recuit me to rebuild his system to be bilingual for about 10 years. I'm thinking about it still.)

The problem isn't just making the system bilingual (that's actually pretty trivial), it's providing news, accurate disabled lists, projected pitchers, etc. in two languages - the whole package.

I'll ask him when the 2006 Challenge will be up this evening. But I think it will just be in Japanese, at least for the first half of the season.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Feb 28, 2006 9:34 PM | HT Fan ]

- However, the interest in the English side of things wasn't worth the cost of maintaining everything in both languages...

I tried it out for one season but it was very expensive to make trades, etc. Maybe that's one reason for the low interest.
[ Author: Guest: Matt | Posted: Mar 1, 2006 8:50 AM ]

I would not think that it would be too hard for Yahoo! to do something about it. They already have the engines and everything set up for the American game. All they would have to do is create a database for the Japanese and update it.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Mar 1, 2006 12:16 PM ]

- I would not think that it would be too hard for Yahoo! to do something about it. They already have the engines and everything set up for the American game. All they would have to do is create a database for the Japanese and update it.

Though there's the problem of lack of knowledge of the NPB in the general public. With that fact, I think Yahoo! will most likely not offer it. It's sad, because Yahoo! offers free fantasy leagues, which are indeed fun.

On a slightly off-topic number, I wonder if Yahoo! Japan has fantasy baseball? Though the Yahoo! Japan log-in is completely seperate from the rest of Yahoo!. Which means if you have a ID from say Yahoo! US, it won't work.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Mar 2, 2006 11:02 AM ]

Yahoo! Japan only seems to be offering Fantasy Soccer, as in the local J-League.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.