Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Japanese players headed to America in 2004?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Japanese players headed to America in 2004?
Does anyone have any insight on who might possibly sign with a MLB team in North America in 2004? I have heard that Kazua Matsui is a possibility. Does anyone have any comments on that or any other players that could also be considered. Thanks in advance for any comments.
Comments
Re: Japanese players headed to America in 2004?
[ Author: Pepp Phoenix | Posted: Mar 21, 2003 8:17 AM ]

Kazuo Matsui is pretty determined to challenge the MLB after the 2003 season. I have also heard about Ohzuka, who just changed teams from Kintetsu to Chuunichi, has the will to challenge the MLB in 2004. He wanted to go this year through the posting system, however no teams placed bid on him because of the salary cap. Teams that wanted him can't afford him, and teams that can afford him don't even care about him. Pretty sad dude.

There are rumors that Uehara from Yomiuri Giants might challenge MLB through posting system in the future. Anaheim Angels showed a lot of interest in him when he was in college, so that is really possible.

I have also heard that Kimiyasu Kudoh wants to challenge MLB after this year, but I doubt that would happen. After all, he is almost 40 years old and has injury problems. He's still a good pitcher, but I do not think he can adjust to the environment.

Iguchi from the Daiei Hawks might also seek a contract with a Major League team. I think he has the potential to get a contract because he is a mid-long range hitter, and has the speed to survive in the league. However, I am more worried about his fielding. I do not have a good image about his fielding, but his ability as a batter can not be under rated.

That is about all the players I know that might seek an MLB contract for the 2004 season.
Re: Japanese players headed to America in 2004?
[ Author: Guest: Dale | Posted: Mar 26, 2003 2:49 PM ]

This question might get complicated by the new-found fiscal restraint of the majority of MLB owners. Top players like Kazuo Matsui would attract lucrative contracts, but why would a team spend a lot for a player without a large upside (such as Kudo)?

The only players in Japan with that kind of upside are stars and young pitchers, but young pitchers aren't available.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.