Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Moving to Japan, and I know next to nothing about NPB

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Moving to Japan, and I know next to nothing about NPB
So, as you can read in the subject line, I am moving to Japan (in 2 months), to Osaka to be exact, and I am a big baseball (MLB) fan, but I know next to nothing about the Japanese leagues. Could someone fill me in? I would like to go to some games, etc., but I don't want to start cheering for the Japanese equivalent of the Yankees. Any help would be appreciated.
Comments
Re: Moving to Japan, and I know next to nothing about NPB
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Jan 2, 2003 5:09 PM | HAN Fan ]

The Osaka area has three teams. Pacific League representaives are Osaka's Kintestsu Buffaloes and Kobe's Orix Blue Wave. The Hanshin Tigers of the Central League are the historical nemesis of Tokyo's Yomiuri Giants. The Tigers are often refered to as the "Cubs" of Japan and the Giants (aka Kyojin) are called the "Yankees of Japan."

February spring training starts either overseas, Okinawa, or Kyushu. Therefore, you probably won't be able to see games in the Osaka area until March spring training games followed by the regualr season in April.

After the Nippon Series in October, there are usually the fall exhibition games through November. Also, exhibition games with teams from Korea and Taiwan occur in odd numbered years, while in even numbered years there are exhibition games with MLB all-stars.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Jan 2, 2003 11:33 PM | HT Fan ]

- I am moving to Japan (in 2 months), to Osaka to be exact [...]

An excellent choice, I must say. I speculate that, living in Osaka, you will probably be very much influenced by the Hanshin-oriented environment. In the local media, the other local teams (Orix and Kintetsu) get minimal exposure compared to Hanshin; perhaps this is caused by their popularity, but you could say this is a "chicken and egg" situation: did the unbalanced media exposure cause the unbalanced popularity, or vice versa? Mind you, Kintetsu seems to have experienced an increase in fans (fairweather, perhaps?) attending games since they won in 2001.

Incidentally, I read in the 2002 Japan Almanac that although Kintetsu came top in the Pa League in 2001, they had the lowest overall attendance.

Either way, be sure to come to Koshien (Hanshin's home ground in Nishinomiya, only 15 minutes from Umeda in central Osaka) and see for yourself what the Hanshin hullaballoo is all about.
Re: Moving to Japan, ...
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jan 5, 2003 11:49 PM ]

Be a Giants' fan. They're the most powerful team in Japan, just like the Yankees are in North America. Only, the Yankees are better.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Jan 6, 2003 11:53 AM | HT Fan ]

- Be a Giants' fan.

A Giants' fan in Osaka? They exist for sure, and in no small number, but are encouraged by the overwhelming numbers of Tigers' fans to choose when and where they express their support of Yomiuri. Personally I don't care which team a person supports, but unfortunately many Hanshin devotees don't see it that way: they enjoy inter-team rivalries and tolerate fans of any other team in Japan... except the Giants.

In Osaka, Giants' fans aren't very visible, except in the left-field stands of Koshien, when they are free to show their colors. On the other hand, because this is Tigers' territory, even the homeless guys wander around in Hanshin caps.

Furthermore, the Hanshin Tigers are a merchandiser's dream in Osaka. In addition to the normal apparel and other items which one usually finds, there are some weird Hanshin products out there. Off the top of my head:
  • Those trolley/wagon things that you use to cart heavy objects around on (I own one!)
  • Potato chips
  • Throat lozenges
  • Televisions
  • Rokko Oroshi, the Hanshin song is one of the most popular mobile phone ring tones around here
  • There's even a Hanshin Tigers' drink vending machine. The drinks are the usual range of sodas and canned coffees, but the machine is decked out in Hanshin colors and logos.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jan 6, 2003 6:47 PM ]

I think that there are a lot more Giants' fans in Osaka than you think. Don't forget that as a young boy growing up in Osaka, Kiyohara was fanatical about Kyojin, so much so that he always cried like a [baby] when the Lions beat the Giants, or when he tried on the Giants' uniform that a former Lions' coach was wearing one day in spring training back before he fulfilled his dream of playing for the Giants.
[ Author: Orix Wakatabe | Posted: Jan 9, 2003 12:03 PM ]

Seeing as you are a big MLB fan, I just found out some interesting news today:
  • Kevin Millar, of the Marlins, signed a contract with the Chunichi Dragons of the Central League.
  • Hideki Irabu, Steinbrenner's favourite "Eastern" scapegoat, is going to the Hanshin Tigers, also of the Central League.
  • In addition, Mac Suzuki (who never before played in the Japanese league) is going to the Orix Blue Wave, as well as Masato Yoshii (previously a member of my favourite MLB team, the Expos). The Blue Wave were the team Ichiro was on, and they are in the Pacific League.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Jan 9, 2003 4:06 PM | HT Fan ]

Speaking of Japanese returning from MLB, does anyone know what's become of Komiyama?
Komiyama
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Jan 11, 2003 5:13 AM | HT Fan ]

From today's Daily Yomiuri [Japanese Yomiuri On-Line article here:

- Right-hander Satoshi Komiyama, released after one season with the New York Mets, said he will wait until Jan. 15 for a major league offer to come before abandoning his hopes of returning.

Komiyama finished with an 0-3 record and 5.61 ERA in 25 appearances, all in relief, for the Mets.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jan 10, 2003 3:26 PM ]

Be a Dragons fan. Kevin Millar from the Forida Marlins just signed a contract with them. He will be the Barry Bonds of Japan.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.