Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Old timers

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Old timers
In the Japan Times December 11th issue there is an interesting article written by Marty Kuehnert concerning how Japanese fans and press sacrifice appreciation for the past for the "glitter" of the present in baseball and in general.
Comments
Re: Old timers
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Dec 12, 2002 1:18 AM | HAN Fan ]

I forgot to mention that Kuehnert's article was in reference to a Old Boys Game that pitted the Gaijin: Randy Bass, Boomer Wells, Jack Bloomfield, Leron Lee, Leon Lee, Gene Bacque, etc. vs. the Japanese: Keishi Suzuki, Maisaaki Koyama, Tetsuya Yoneda, Masaichi Kaneda, Sadaharu Oh, Isao Harimoto, Yutaka Fukumoto, Yoshinori Hirose, etc.
Re: Old timers
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Dec 12, 2002 9:59 AM ]

Is Kuehnert high? When I was in Japan I felt that the press and fans focused overwhelmingly on the past at the expense of the very good players of today. It got particularly bad in 2000, when all you heard about was Nagashima and Oh, and their teammates, and their opponents, and so on, and so on...
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.