Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Dreaming

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Dreaming
Just farting around, but here is my fantasy proposal of realignment of the NPB:

There will be two leagues, the Central League and the Pacific League. Each League will have two divisions, the Central League with Central North (CN) and Central East (CE), and the Pacific League with Pacific South (PS) and Pacific West (PW). Each division will have 3 teams.
  • The CN consists of the Nippon Ham Fighters, Seibu Lions, and Yakult Swallows.
  • The CE contains the Yomiuri Giants, Yokohama Baystars, and Chiba Lotte Marines.
  • The PS would have the Fukouoka Daiei Hawks, Hiroshima Carp, and Orix Blue Wave.
  • Finally, the PW consists of the Hanshin Tigers, Osaka Kintetsu Buffaloes, and Chunichi Dragons.

A full season of 138 games will be played, with game one starting on April 1 and the 138th game on September 29. No ties allowed!

A team will play each team of their respective league 24 times. A team will then play 18 games against three teams of a division from the other league. For example, a team from the CE will play each team from the PS 6 games, three at home and three away. The following season, the CE will play the PW, that way, in a two year span, each team would have played each other.

At season's end, the teams who win their divisions will battle it out in a best of seven series with the winners eventually going on to the best of seven Nippon Series. Looking at this year's standings and using this format, Seibu, representing the CN, would battle Yomiuri of the CE, and the Hawks of PS plays the Buffaloes of the PW. With this format, it would give a greater chance for any team to proceed to the big show.

The format, in addition, would boost attendance for Marine Stadium and Sapporo Dome (when Nichi Ham moves up north). Hanshin fans would gladly fill Osaka Dome and even Green Stadium. I think that there is a pretty big Carp following in Kyushu so that would help Daiei a bit. I wouldn't know how Nagoya Dome would be affected though.

On another note, it would create new rivalries, such as Hanshin-Osaka-Kobe, the Bay (Lotte-Yokohama), Yomiuri-Seibu, and to a lesser extent, Hamsters-Yomiuri and Hiroshima-Daiei. Maybe the once every two years Hanshin-Kyojin battle would renew their rivalry.

But, again, this is only a dream. Anyone else have any fantasies for a Yume (Dream) League?

morosuki

About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.