Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Hoshino Says NO?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Hoshino Says NO?
I just went to the Yahoo! baseball page and the top story looked to be that former Hanshin Manager, Senichi Hoshino, returned to Japan and turned down the offer to manage Yomiuri next season. If anyone who has a much better grasp of Japanese than I can take a look and confirm this, and perhaps give a better summary, that would be great. If it is true, is this really that big of shock? And who's next on Yomiuri's list?
Comments
Re: Hoshino Says NO?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Aug 27, 2005 8:07 AM ]

- If it is true, is this really that big of shock?

As I mentioned earlier, no this isn't much of a shock in my opinion. Hoshino was always a tough critic of Tsuneo Watanabe.

Also, Hoshino's health, I think, was the major reason for stepping down as manager of the Hanshin Tigers. So, I don't take this as a shock.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Aug 27, 2005 2:25 PM | HT Fan ]

This is what the Associated Press reported:
Former Hanshin Tigers manager Senichi Hoshino returned to Japan from the United States on Thursday saying he doesn't want to talk about becoming manager of the Yomiuri Giants.

"The Giants? I have nothing to say about that," Hoshino said on his official Web site. "I've decided that I'm not going to say anything about it and I don't care how persistent they (the media) are."

Hoshino has been mentioned as a possible candidate to replace current manager Tsuneo Horiuchi, likely to step down after this season.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Aug 28, 2005 7:50 PM | HAN Fan ]

Today on BS (Broadcast Satellite) Hoshino confirmed that he had no intention of joining the Giants. He is committed to the Tigers. In fact he went as far as to use the word uso (a lie) about the whole story.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Aug 29, 2005 11:32 AM | HT Fan ]

Meanwhile, SanSpo reports that Hoshino, in his role as comments man on a TV broadcast of the Tigers vs. Giants game at Koshien last night (Aug. 28), spoke briefly about the Giants' courting of him. Hoshino apparently said that being considered as a candidate for Yomiuri manager was a good thing for him as a yakyu-jin ("baseball person"). SanSpo also reported that an un-named source close to Hoshino speculated that Hoshino would decide one way or another in September.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.