Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Wild Swallows Lineup

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Wild Swallows Lineup
How about the Yakult batters of late? Pretty wild, huh? Earlier this month they set a new NPB record by getting a hit in 23 consecutive innings, then on August 16th they set a new club record by striking out 17 times in one game. Then after scoring just 7 runs in 3 straight losses, in the game on the 17th Alex Ramirez, Ryuji Miyade, and Adam Riggs hit back to back to back home runs, helping the Swallows erupt for 15 runs.

The pitching has been pretty consistent all year, with Shugo Fujii and Ryo Kawashima currently #1 and #2 in the CL ERA category.

Certainly makes for a bumpy ride, huh? But I love the excitement of not knowing when the Swallows will bust out.
Comments
Re: Wild Swallows Lineup
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Aug 18, 2005 7:21 PM ]

This story has pictures of Ramirez, Miyade, and Riggs' back to back to back home runs. Also, Miyamoto, from what I heard, hit a grand slam in the same game if I'm not mistaken. The Swallows hit 5 home runs in Wednesday's game, 2 by Riggs, 1 by Miyamoto, 1 by Ramirez, and 1 by Miyade. [Full Story - SanSpo - in Japanese] [Box Score - Borisov's Pro Yakyu] [Home Run At Bat Pitch Locations - image - Borisov's Pro Yakyu]
Re: Wild Swallows Lineup
[ Author: Yakulto | Posted: Aug 18, 2005 10:15 PM | TYS Fan ]

Yes, it's certainly an interesting ride at the moment, never knowing which team will show up. The team that can't stop hitting or the team that can't hit to save their lives.

Although Kawashima and Fujii have been solid, the rest of the rotation has been a bit hit and miss, too (I was lucky (?) enough to be at Jingu to witness Gonzalez giving up two grand slams in the first 2 innings against the Carp on August 10th).

The relief pitching has been as unpredictable as the hitters of late, too, with Igarashi giving up his daily run or two in relief. And the appearence of Yamabe or Hanada is always guaranteed to get me calling over the beer seller to calm the nerves! Thank goodness for Ishii is all I can say!

It is frustrating though, as on our on day we can destroy anyone in the Central League, and with a little more consistency we could be challenging for the pennant. Alas I feel our wild and unpredictabe nature will lead to third place being the best we can get.

Now if the CL had a playoff system, ...
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.