Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Gabe Kapler: Where is He?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Gabe Kapler: Where is He?
The famouse quote "Where's Waldo" can be applied to Gabe. Where is he?

A friend of mine in a telephone conversation said he went to a couple of Giants' games and saw no sign of him in the dug out. He asked another fan if the Giants had sent him home? To the minors? Or released him? No direct answer.

I looked him up on the MLB Player Association roster changes, and it still had him in NPB. So, where is he?
Comments
Re: Gabe Kapler: Where is He?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jun 27, 2005 9:26 AM ]

Kapler's peformance was disappointing, and Yomiuri released him. He was released June 5th or so. He batted .153 (17 for 111) with 3 home runs and 6 RBI in 38 games. [See also this thread.]
[ Author: Guest: JOE KALESNIK | Posted: Jun 27, 2005 12:37 PM ]

Thanks for the info. However, now that the Giants have let him go, what about his contract? Did they pay him off? I'll have to contact the MLB Players' Association to see if they have any updated news.

I said long ago when the Giants signed him that it was a mistake, especially when Theo Epstein didn't blink an eye when he signed with the Giants.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jun 27, 2005 3:25 PM ]

This Daily Yomiuri article says he was deactivated by the Giants. Though I am starting to think it means he was deactivated because of injuries according to this article in the Boston Globe. So right now I think he's still in Japan, but aren't a 100% sure.
[ Author: Guest: Guest | Posted: Jul 9, 2005 12:30 AM ]

According to The Boston Globe, the Boston Red Sox are trying to work out a deal with the Giants to get Kapler back. According to the article, he is still the property of the Giants.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jul 9, 2005 7:50 AM | YBS Fan ]

Today's (July 9, 2005) Nikkan Sports reports that the Giants have released Kapler on waivers at his request. He caught the first plane out of Japan after the news release. The same Nikkan Sports article also mentions Boston papers stating that the Red Sox wished to take Kapler back if possible.

This is the first time since 1999 that the Giants released two foreign players in the same year (Hillman and Duncan).

The Giants' plan to spend 2.1-oku yen on a world champion turned out seeing the player finish 17 for 111 (.153) in 38 games before his lower back gave out. I wish him a speedy recovery for both his back and batting.
[ Author: Guest: JOE KALESNIK | Posted: Jul 16, 2005 10:00 PM ]

I GUESS I AM ANSWERING MY OWN QUESTION..WATCHING BOSOX
AND NYYANKS GAME FRIDAY NIGHT IT WAS MENTION BOSOX SIGNED GABE,PUT HIM ON DL,AND THEN HE'LL DO REHAD AT AAA PAWTUK TEAM.THAT'S 2 NPB PLAYERS THEY SIGNED THIS YEAR BOTH ON DL BOTH TO PAWTUK TEAM.MAYBE BOSOXES ARE BECOMING THE TEAM FOR NPB REJECTS AND THE DISABLE.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Jul 17, 2005 2:42 AM | CLM Fan ]

I don't think we can categorize Petagine with Kapler. He was an MVP and gave a lot to the game. Kapler did nothing and totally disrespected the game in an interview I read. I really would've liked to see Peta stay with the Swallows and keep them as a strong contendor.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 17, 2005 9:18 AM ]

"MAYBE BOSOXES ARE BECOMING THE TEAM FOR NPB REJECTS AND THE DISABLE"

I don't really think so. Roberto Petagine really had a chance to make the Red Sox squad out of spring training, if he didn't get injured. Petagine was off to a great start in spring training before getting injured .286(2-7) with OHR and 2RBI. Petagine is batting .322 with 16HR and 50 RBI with AAA Pawtucket this year. Petagine was a great player year in and year out in Japan, batting .317 with 223 HR and 594 RBI.

Petagine was a great player all around and deserves a chance in the majors, unlike Kapler.

Actually, this is the 3rd NPB player for the Red Sox this year, if you consider former Baystars pitcher Denny Tomori who's pitching in AAA Pawtucket also.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Roberto%20Petagine&pos=1B&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&did=milb&pid=120451
http://www.japanesebaseball.com/players/player.jsp?PlayerID=1154
[ Author: alappin | Posted: Jul 26, 2005 6:02 AM | SL Fan ]

Kapler would be a good fit for the Sox this year. His role would be a utility outfielder. They need someone who can play center field (as a backup to Damon) and hit lefties (because Nixon, their usual RF, can't hit lefties at all). Kapler filled that role very well 2 years ago and was good at it last year. He's not an everyday player by any means, but he's a better solution than Adam Hyzdu or Adam Stern, the two other utility outfielders that the Sox are currently carrying. Even though Kapler hit .153, the Sox are willing to take the chance that it was because he was in a new country, and that his low batting average was due to a small number of at bats. I think it's a nice low-risk move by the Sox; worst case scenario, Kapler continues to stink and gets sent to the minors.

Promoting Petagine seems to be a logical move as well. He has been clobbering Triple A pitching, and the Sox have had little production from their first basemen this year. The problem is that John Olerud is a 15-year veteran, and Kevin Millar is a fan and media favorite. Both of them block Petagine at first base, and it's not clear that Petagine will be able to get a promotion before September.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 26, 2005 7:17 AM ]

I agree Kapler is a great fit as a backup outfielder. He sure will bring better play than Hyzdu and Stern.

I think Petagine would be better than Graffanino or Cora though, but I agree with you it seems he won't probably be in the majors until rosters expand in September. It's really a tough decision, Petagine having a great season and could be quite helpful for the Red Sox, but Olerud is a 15-yr veteran and Millar is a proven player too.

About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.